It's happened the wildlife has found the coop

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by 5acrehome, Jan 14, 2011.

1. 5acrehome

5acrehome Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    After a year of have chickens the local wildlife found my coop last night and tore through ten+ chickens that were roosting outside in the run. I only am left wondering what type of animal did it though because these are big breed chickens and there are 8 out of 10 bodies missing. The two left had their head/ neck missing. Thankfully it's not a total loss the chicken coop has a whole only small enough for a chicken to get into so I think that is what saved the rest of the lot. It is Ironic to me though that only hens and the youngest of the roosters survived the encounter. Appears to be either two 1" wide bite marks or one 3" wide bite on the remaining carcasses. on a good note though the broody clutch is safely in my incubator hatching out got another little guy this morning.

Location is North central, Florida.
    semi-rural / wooded lots closed by

any input before I stake out camp this weekend over my chicken hut.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  2. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Sounds like you are looking for an ID on your predator, which I can't help with. Others will be along to give good ideas there.

However, I'd suggest it's time to coop them for the night, no more camping out in the run.

3. 5acrehome

5acrehome Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    wow have to wait until prime time for this one to light up I am thinking.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Could be anything but usually something canine takes the whole bird, like a coyote, fox, dog, etc. A bobcat might, also. I'm betting on a family of coons from your description.

You said they were in your coop, but if they were roosting outside, they weren't protected, especially if you have chickenwire (poultry netting). Anything can chew through that, including raccoons (you didn't say what wire you have or if there was a top on it). The only way to protect them in a wildlife-rich area like you and I live in is to lock them in a building at night. No pen is predator proof, not really.

5. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    I'm with the coop them up crowd. If you have a live trap set it out. sprinkle dry dirt all around the area they are getting in to see if you can ID the tracks>

6. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    I am going with the multiple coon vote as well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by