It's happening!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Trog, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Trog

Trog Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2010
    Bloomer
    Okeedookee, I came home from work today and one of my eggs was cracked! I couldn't believe it! I haven't been able to stay away from the incubator for more than 10 minutes! For those of you who remember my first experience, this is alot better! I notice the humidity was down around 40%, so I did open the bator to drop some water, because I am to understand humidity is especially important during hatch. So, now I just wait...Should I help the little thing along?! I just can't stand this! I love it. [​IMG]

2. countrychix

countrychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    Frewsburg, NY
    Leave the chick be. It could take 24 hours or more for it to zip and hatch out. There are certain instances when they need help, but those are few and far between AND you really need to know what you're doing. You could do more harm than good if it isn't ready to make its way out yet as it may not have absorbed all the yolk sac yet or you could rupture arteries/veins in the membrane and cause it to bleed to death. Try not to open the incubator if at all possible. Placing a wet sponge in there really helps to raise the humidity, add water by springe or eyedropper and just crack the top open to keep humidity in. I was running 85-90% humidity on my last hatch this past weekend and of 10 eggs that made it to lockdown I had 8 of them hatch. All my eggs had detached membranes and other shipping issues so I thought that was a pretty good outcome. Please be patient and warm wishes on your new lttle chickies.

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Yes, get the humidity way up there. I always raise it until the moisture condenses on the windows (mind you, I'm hatching ducks, so you may need to do it a little differently for chickens). And leave it closed! Helping it hatch almost never is good for it. Even with two seasons of experience, I made a mistake on my last hatch and tried to help one and made her bleed. Luckily, I knew as soon as I started that it was a mistake and stuck her back in the incubator. A couple hours later she had hatched out all on her own--she never needed my help to begin with.

So sit on your hands if you have to, or duct tape the incubator shut, but let her be. It could be a couple days before she makes her grand entrance.

Good luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by