Its hatch day! And my birthday!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Minky, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Minky

Minky Songster

Nov 4, 2017
    Ontario
    Well, I thought yesterday was hatch day, but just found out about day ZERO!!! So today is day 21.
    I have 15 eggs under my broody hen, Feather Face. One chick had pipped today at 7 am, and by noon was out of the shell and under momma.:jumpy (I lifted her wing up and saw chickie, removed shell, and couldn't see any other pips in any other eggs so far.
    Its been cold here (below freezing most days) and I put too many eggs under her (she is a medium sized EE) and she has 15 eggs--- (I know-- I was being greedy--) and its her first time (she's young still-10 months old) so I'm hoping the rest will start to hatch soon.
    I must be crazy --sitting in the barn staring at my hen:pop....on my birthday!! LMFAO

Can I lift her off to check for pips? or should i just leave her be.....

When should i start worrying about the others.. in 24 hours?
    Thanks

CapricornFarm likes this.
  2. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Happy birthday to you and your chick. Let your broody do her thing. It seems she knows what to do even though she is very young. That is a lot of eggs so dont be too disappointed if not all hatch. Good Luck!

CapricornFarm likes this.
  3. CapricornFarm

CapricornFarm Chicken Tender

Feb 1, 2010
    Southern Virginia
    Happy belated birthday, hope you have a great hatch!

4. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    So, how is the family?

5. Minky

Minky Songster

Nov 4, 2017
    Ontario
    Hi Oregonkat !
    Ok, so we have 8 chicks !!! she is still sitting tight, although I do hand feed her a bit 2-3 times a day...little bits... ;) she wont poop in the nest if she hasnt done it yet! LOL(4 weeks!!)
    this morning I gave her a bit of scrambled egg while I lifted her out and grabbed all chicks! There were 8!! (I guessed 7 because of shells Ive been keeping track of. )
    2 yellow, 1 orange, 2 light chimpunk, 2 dark chipmunk, 1 dark chimpunk with lots of freckles. SO CUTE!!!
    I weighed, photographed and marked 3 with blue polish on back of leg.
    (1 yellow, 1 dark chipmunk, 1 light chipmunk)

Then i swapped out for the eggs, returning the chicks. There were 7 eggs left. One had a pip hole, and i could hear tapping, so I cheeped loudly to it and it answered! Put that one back!! (thats from my maran and its the only one viable so i hope it hatches. )

There are 6 eggs left. I inspected them.
    One was very dirty(stuck with woodshavings) when i picked off shaving a chunk of shell came off. Whoops. I was being very gentle. The membrane is intact, and although it doesnt smell, when i candled it, i got some yellow goo(yolk i presume) on me, (which didnt smell) . I didnt see movement, or hear anything. I am guessed not viable.
    Of the other 5 -(3 were marked as being ejected from the nest on day 13 by Feather Face-an egg had broken and these 3 were filthy with yoke, but i replaced them 24 hours later (day 14) thinking if i wash them they may hatch.... I can see feet in one. Big feet. No movement. The other two look like they have a lot of space/light left in them.
    The 2 last eggs... I see nothing (i see the air cell) and i see dark area, but no beak or feet poking into the light ...they are not wiggling in the water test and no peeping or movement to note.
    I dont think I will put any of these eggs back under her.
    What do you think??
    Thanks

6. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Yup, anything that is not showing any signs of growth, e.g. the one with the yellow goo, discard. The others, if the hen rejected them and they were dirty with yolk, I probably would discard those too, but that is a judgement call only you can make. The last two, who knows? Probably fine to put them back and just wait. If they hatch, great, if not, c'est la vie!! Good luck with the Marans, my fave....:love:love:love:love

7. Minky

Minky Songster

Nov 4, 2017
    Ontario

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: