1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

It's his fault....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by skirbo, Dec 21, 2008.

1. skirbo

skirbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Walton County, NW FL
    I've never shared the story of why I wanted chickens, but it is this rooster's fault. When I bought my house two and half years ago, it came with 'feral fowl', a hen and a rooster. In this rural city, feral fowl are protected. Over the two and half year period, the rooster and all the babies except one pullet from this pair were killed and two strange roosters showed up after that. They were both obviously young and this one rooster, WT (for white tail), got too big to go sleep in the trees with everyone else, he kept falling out. So every night he would take his whole flock to the back yard, watch all of them while they got settled and then make his way back around to my carport where he slept on a picnic table. He slept there every night until just a week or so ago when I put him in with his new girls.

Anyway, those two roosters stayed and the daughter hatched a clutch and this time all the babies except one pullet were killed and so was the mama. A few months after that, one of the roosters and one hen were killed, leaving this rooster and the one hen. The one hen was gotten by the neighbor's dog one day about six months ago, leaving this guy totally alone. I was also very sad at the loss of all those cute little lives, but they weren't pets, they were wild birds, all of them, used to going where ever, whenever. I didn't think any of them would be happy in a pen. So I fed them and did the best I could by them as wild animals. I grieved when they disappeared and buried anyone that was killed and left where I could find them.

I had sort of hoped that WT would go find himself some new wild girls, even if he brought them back 'home'. But he stayed. And stayed. He demanded food with the best of them, going so far as to stick his head up to whatever window he could see me through. At night he'd let me pick him up and move him if he was sleeping on something he shouldn't be, like my bike. And he got lonelier and lonelier until he was hanging out with my dogs and playing in the street, so I decided he was suicidal. :-> Friends gave me three year old buff orp girls and I picked up two black sex links and a silver laced wyandotte for him. He wasn't here when I brought home the buffs, but he was when I got home with the others. I have never seen anything so happy in my life. He was beside himself, trying to figure out a way into or out of the crate. He did what I call 'The Happy Rooster Dance' for about half an hour, and then refused to follow me around the house to the 'backyard of doom' (he never went back there again after the others died, even to eat). I was so disappointed. I gave him two days and he still didn't go.

So the third night I went out to where he slept. He woke up before I got there, stood up and started complaining that his beauty sleep had been disturbed. But he let me pick him up and didn't struggle or kick at me the whole way to the coop. I was treated to another demonstration of the Happy Rooster Dance when he saw the girls and so far (three weeks later) he doesn't seem to mind captivity at all. Of course, he has a harem all to himself, so no wonder.

Anyway, I'm curious to know what you guys see in him. His tail is usually a bit longer, he had an unfortunate incident a few months ago but seeing as the tail was the only thing he lost, I don't think he cares. He is a good bit bigger than the Buff girls, who are not small. Though he's no where near Nugget's size, and obviously much safer to wake up.

Thanks!

Sarah

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i just loved that story!..and you must live in heaven!..wild chickens all over the place!...[​IMG]..[​IMG]..pretty cool!...do you think he has some RIR in him?..he is very pretty!

3. skirbo

skirbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Walton County, NW FL
    There aren't as many as there used to be in the area. I think too many of them get eaten. By humans and predators.

I really don't know what's in him. RIR seems likely.

Sarah

4. chickenbuddy

chickenbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    That's a super duper awsome roo! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    That's a cool story. I wish we had wild chickens! He really is a neat boy, and I bet he's thrilled with life these days.

6. soonerdog

soonerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Sarah, he is beautiful. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  7. Kung Foo Chicken

Kung Foo Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

Here's my half Buff Orp/Sexlink Red He's a bit lighter but, close. Some of the others came out darker red with black or white tails. The Red Sex Links are Rhode Island Red/White Rock.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  8. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Fantastic story and you have really made him a very happy Roo.

he is lovely,

Best wishes to both of you,

Jena.

9. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Wonderful story and I fell in love with your rooster. [​IMG]

10. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I know I'm dragging the thread off course, but I very much love your story and I'm glad you shared it with us all!! To make matters worse (thread wise) I have no clue what breed or breeds your roo may be, but he's a handsome lad and seems to know it! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by