It's hot and my girls are lying on their sides.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MammaMoose, Jun 15, 2010.

1. MammaMoose

MammaMoose Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    Lawrenceburg, KY
    I just went out to check on my girls. I found them in the shade, lying on their sides at funny angles. Is this normal? They were slow to get up and one kept her leg tucked up...like it had fallen asleep. I hurried inside and got a frozen milk jug out to them. I covered in in straw, which they promptly scratched away. I'm a new chicken momma (been doing this for 3 mos.) and am still getting used to my girls and their funny ways. Help me understand chicken. Thnx.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They're relaxing. It's normal, see.......here's mine:

[​IMG]

3. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Oh, and sometimes they lay on their sides while dust bathing also.

4. KandJsmama

KandJsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine do that too. This is their second Vegas summer. I put out watermelon halves and lettuce or cabbage heads on the really hot days.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  5. MammaMoose

MammaMoose Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    Lawrenceburg, KY
    Thnx. I thought I had a rare breed of "fainting" chickens. They didn't have a wing out, but were all the way on their sides. They scared me for a moment. Silly girls. Of course, in this heat and humidity, I'd be fainting and on my side, too.

6. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Yeah, that's called the dead chicken look. Still freaks me out when I see it.

7. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Mine do it when the sun is OUT! They lie on their sides, in the direct path of the sun's rays, spread out their wings and shut their eyes in contentment. It's a sun bath and it's delicious when it happens (for those of us who live in a continuous cool, cloudy, rainy climate). [​IMG]

8. Neilette

Neilette Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Quote:Hear hear! [​IMG] Almost the very first thing my chickens do the first time they see sunlight is spread out on the ground and sing. Bliss!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  9. TiaView

TiaView Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Salem
    My chickens do this, too, when they are in the sun or dusting.

I read in Meyers catalog that laying hens should not eat fruit. I say this in response to some who feed cold fruit on hot days. Is it true that fruit will stop hens from laying?

10. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    My girls get blueberries, strawberries, watermelon and bananas as treats all the time, no problems laying here. The key, with everything, is moderation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by