It's hot here in Texas!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bluekerry, Aug 4, 2011.

1. bluekerry

bluekerry New Egg

May 8, 2011
    My chickens are really suffering in the 110 degree (that is not a typo!) heat. I live west of FT. Worth and we have had 35 straight days of triple digit heat. I was worried that I would lose some chickens. I put fans in the coop but they were still panting and miserable. Yesterday I added 2 stick misters. I put them in front of the fans. The misters worked wonders. My chickens quit panting and were actually up scratching in the dirt like normal. The floor of the coop was a little wet but the chickens seemed to enjoy scratching in the damp soil. I bought the coil stick misters on Amazon and they are inexpensive. It's 4AM here and temp is still 90 degrees so we are in for another scorcher today.[​IMG]

2. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    I placed a large water pan in my run. The chickens stand in it. I am guessing that by cooling their legs, they are cooling their blood and helping themseles that way. I have also placed sunscreens on the top and sunniest side of the run. Thankfully, so far so good. Although, egg production is down from last year. THey also aren't eating as much. Poor babies.

Think we'll break the record this year (consecutive days of triple digits)?

3. geekgurl

geekgurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    I think we'll break that record from 1980. We've got it bad here, but I see some people in Oklahoma and Arkansas have had higher temps than us. I think Little Rock hit 114 yesterday! I also, got the standing misters at the big box store. They are called "cobra" misters and put out by a company called Orbit. I put a box fan behind it, too, like bluekerry and my girls stopped panting, too. Let's just hope they don't start with the rolling blackouts.

4. pjknust

pjknust Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Texas
    Quote:please give more info on the misters. I also live west of FtWorth and have just about had it with this heat!!

pam

5. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Remember that chickens get significant cooling from their foot pads. I have trash can and rubber made container lids filled with water in shady places that I change with cold water several times a day. You can add ice to these pans. It's pretty funny to see ten or twelve chickens standing, sitting and wading in the water right after I've changed it. We've been in the triple digits for a ling time and even above 120 once. I've had a small batch of broilers all summer and still have five that I need to butcher.

6. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

when i go out to fill the water pans, deer come over (within 5 feet of me).. stand there stomping their feet and snorting at me to hurry up and get done.. now these aren't pets.. they are wild deer.. but the creek near us is dry as a bone... and with it being so hot and dry here..it doesnt matter if it's 7AM or noon or in the evening when I go out.. when they hear the hose they come looking for a drink

7. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Quote:please give more info on the misters. I also live west of FtWorth and have just about had it with this heat!!

pam

I got my misters at Lowes, total for 20 feet and the mist heads, $50
    [​IMG]

I got a pool from pet smart meant for dogs and my girls wont go in it. I guess its to deep. They do drink from it and I keep blocks of ice in it everyday.

8. pjknust

pjknust Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Texas
    Mine will stand in shallow saucer type pans. nothing too deep. I have buckets and pans all over the yard, but I have two shallow bins that I put the ice water in, they know which ones are the ones with ice and they drink from them. I freeze small soda bottles and just change them out with water from a jug thats been sitting in the house. my tap water is way too warm and I dont want to waste the ice trying to cool down the water, so I just bring the bottle water from the house.

pam

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by