It's Hot! How do they cool down?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HenPenny, Jun 2, 2011.

1. HenPenny

HenPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    Lewisville tx
    My chickens normally roam about the back yard. Taking naps in the shade. Today I found them all hunkered down in the chicken coupe? Is this what most chickens do when it's too hot to scratch?

2. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    They'll find a nice cool spot to be. Sounds like the coolest spot must be there in that coop. you can even dig a little in a space you don't mind being dug up, to give them access to cooler, moister dirt. You can offer them more water access too.

3. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Definitly lots of fresh water with ice in it. Right now mine are hunkered under an oak tree near the water containers. I say their hangin out at the watercooler.[​IMG]

4. jerryray

jerryray Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Kentucky
    We have put a fan on our chicken that in the coop and also put ice in their water.

5. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Mine love going up the mountain behind the house where there is tons of shade, but they seem to rely a lot on the shade under our deck. Lots of bugs and stuff to eat [​IMG]

6. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    Mine have nearly dug under the pump house. The dirt gets a little damp from the filter when it back washes.

7. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

If your container is large enough, why not freeze a milk jug and throw it in the fountion? When it thaws just refreeze it and reuse it

Kudos,if you coop is the coolest spot. Mine prefer outside in shade to their coop

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by