1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

ITS HOT!! Should the fan suck or blow!??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by justusnak, Jul 30, 2007.

1. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Feb 28, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    Ok, Its hot, I mean really hot in the coop. The thermometer says almost 100 degrees. [​IMG] I have a fan blowing in on them....but should I have it sucking the hot air out instead? I only have the one fan....and Im scared I will start loseing chickens. So....blow in...or blow out?? Why wont they go outside? There is a breeze out there, and shade and cool wet soil. Should I just lock them out in the run with lots of water? Its supposed to be even hotter this week...mid 90's ALL week.

2. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Songster

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    My Cornish X liked to have the fan blow on them.
    Maybe you should shoo them outside if there is a breeze. Could you shoot water onto their coop? That would only help for a little while.
    Silly chickens!

Oh how about giving them some watermelon, outside? Nice and cool and juicy.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  3. Godiva

Godiva Songster 11 Years

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    My chickens LOVE the fan and will roost directly in front of it. Our temperatures are over 90 most days and often over 100. What if you close them out of the run with lots of cold water and set up the fan outside so they have the extra air movement if they feel the need. I swear by my fan - I truly think it has saved lives this summer! I moved here (South Carolina) from 6300 ft in Colorado. The only time I have raised chickens it was at 8000 feet where I never had to worry about the heat so this has been a major learning curve for us! I find cold water, fan and wet burlap are my best buddies! Let us know what happens...

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Feb 28, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    OK, so I call my mother....we had chickens growing up....over 200 at one time.! I asked her as well....she told me to get ALL of the straw out of the coop...and just let them have the dirt floor. Hmmmmm....ok...well.....gotta do what Mom says..right? So, out I go...and after 5 wheelbarrows FULL of straw...they are now down to the dirt/gravel/AG Lime floor. I set the fan back where I had it originally...on the floor, outside the door, blowing in..and came inside to cool off. After about 2 hrs, I went back out...and you would not believe it...a FULL 20 Degrees COOLER! It was just barely over 80 degrees in there. Whew! what a save! Good old mom! The smell is gone as well...BAD to have straw in the coop in the summer....thats what Mom said! LOL She may be 70...but still smart as a whip!

5. [​IMG] You know the saying "mother knows best" seems it is true.glad you got them cooled off.

6. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    To begin with, consider rewording your post. [​IMG]

But seriously...
    My babies love to sit in front of a large box fan and let their
    feathers flap around in front of it. It's one of their lifes' simpler
    pleasures. [​IMG]

7. bayouchica

bayouchica Songster

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    To begin with, consider rewording your post.

[​IMG] PC that's too funny.
    Glad ya got your chickens more comfortable, Deb. Mothers know best [​IMG]

8. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Another 'funny' by PurpleChicken!

9. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Sorry Justusnak, didn't mean to hijack this thread by being a dumbass. It just
    comes so easy for me.

Back to your original idea:
    If you had an exhaust fan then you would have it blow out. Not
    only would it pull in cool air but it would suck out a lot of dust. I'm
    trying to integrate one into my coop. Trouble is I can't find the right
    size. They are either too big or too little.

In this heat the best thing to do is blow air on the chickens. We've got
    one blowing under the coop that moves the air around and gives
    them a spot to sit in the wind. We also have a little clip on fan up high
    that I leave on 24/7.

It's been around 90 degrees during the day here with brutal humidity.
    The coop is in direct sun until around 1PM. Chickies seem happy.

Don

10. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Feb 28, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    [​IMG] Purple chicken.....thats ok, I dont offend easily....I tend to be a smarta$$ myself! ( thats why the title of the post) [​IMG]

I do have a roof vent...ohhh, I cant think of the name of it...a round TURBINE vent, Yeah, thats it. LOL Anyways...it sucks air out pretty well. The problem is, the roof is tin, and is in the sun MOST of the day. UGH! HOT! I have the fan sitting in the shop...on concrete floor....blowing through a screen door onto them. I am going to be planting some willows IN the coop....fenced off of course so they have a chance to grow. Then once they get tall enough, I will fence the top of the run around the tree. I just hate to see them suffer in this heat, while I am inside, in the airconditioning. Just doesnt seem fair to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: