It's legal, so now I'm in Research Mode

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Celticdragonfly, May 17, 2018.

1. Celticdragonfly

Celticdragonfly In the Brooder

May 17, 2018
    Hiya. So I've been interested in backyard chickens for years. It wasn't legal in our town though. However - they just made it legal, hens only, up to 3. So I'm excited and researching, figuring out what I need to do and what I need to get ready before it's chicken time.

I live in a small town on the outskirts of Fort Worth, with my family. I'm a combination of home with kids, fiber artist, and part-time indie audiobook narrator. I have some chronic illness issues, but my teenage daughter - who wants to be a vet tech or a vet - is going to work with me, I feel we can do it together, once we get it all set up. We have three cats, the chickens will probably be relieved that they live indoors.

We have a white cedar play structure in the back, sorta L-shaped, with a picnic-table-under-the-fort on one end. The kids have outgrown it, some of the swings have been taken down, it doesn't get used any more. I'm thinking about maybe using it as something to build the run area on - put up a post at the cattycorner, and use it to mount some sort of chicken wire fencing around the four sides, and cover the top with bird netting, which would give a really big run area, and then get or build a coop to put in it / at the edge of it. We'd need to figure out how to put a door in it. I like stuff like the Eglu cube and all, with the attached run and the wheels, but man that can cost a lot. Also a pen I could go into seems more ... sociable with them. I'd happily take advice and suggestions. I'm going to go look at the page suggested for newbies about all the coops.

Started looking into chicken breeds. The two I've seen the most recommended so far are the black sex links and the black Australorps. They sound like good breeds - but not sure it's a kind thing to have a black animal living in Texas in the summer! It gets HOT here. I'm kinda thinking that my time checking on chickens, feeding, etc, is quite possibly going to be a lot of wee hours of the morning or late evening. I'm semi-nocturnal anyway, and tend to avoid going out in the heat as much as I can.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member 8 Years

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Great introduction. The best thing to do is to post on your state thread. Folks there can best advise you on breeds that can handle the climate. Also get their advice on type of coop that will work best for you.

Put" Texas thread "in the search box(top of page) and it should come up for you.

Hope you will enjoy Backyard chickens as much as we do :wee

Aerliss and 007Sean like this.
  3. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello and welcome to BYC

On this link you'll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

KikisGirls and 007Sean like this.
  4. 007Sean

007Sean Enabler Premium Member

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :frow Welcome

Thanks for joining us here at Backyard Chickens. Pork Pie has given you some great links to follow...enjoy your time here. :celebrate

KikisGirls likes this.
  5. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Enlightened Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    :yesss: We are glad you joined our flock!
    Jump right in and make yourself at home.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas:
    Chicken Coops

BYC has an APP!

007Sean likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: