1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

It's like Chicken Christmas!!! Updated with pics (post 4)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mojo Chick'n, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Heya all -

I just had to tell everyone (who bothers to read this, LOL) that I got more chickens!!!!

Last night I went to the auction early to buy in the parking lot before the auction (that way I can meet the people with birds, and check out the bird really well, pick them up, inspect them, etc...)

So, I came home with 7 BB Red oeg banties (roo and 6 pullets)
    a pair of red pyle oeg banties (they are WAY too pretty to pass up - I need to find some more pullets or hens for this guy)
    and one lonely little speckled oeg banty roo that was given to me for free because I bought the guys other banties he had, and this was the last one left.

I am calculating, now, to see how much room I have in the bigger coop if I get more banties (they're like potato chips, ya can't have just one - or 15 -) I am thinking I got room for at least 20 more.

I'm in Chicken Heaven!! I never thought I'd want banties, I have the large breeds - but these guys are SO cool!!

Well, just had to share, LOL.

Peace -
    Meriah

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2008
  2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Congratulations!! You sound like a kid in a candy shop!! LOL And that's just what those beautiful oegb's are...EYE candy!! I think banties are so much prettier than standard size chickens. Sort of like with tropical fish...the saltwater fish are so much prettier than the fresh water varieties. Enjoy those new pets!! Did I mention I'm jealous? [​IMG]

3. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Congratulaions, chickens are like potatoe chips... you always need at least ONE more!

4. Mojo Chick'n

5. ChooksinIowa

ChooksinIowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Van Meter, Iowa
    Great looking OEGs! I know what you mean about the inability to have just one. I ended up buying a trio of OEG at the Iowa State Fair this month. I had intended to buy a single bantam. I got a black Wyandotte bantam and was happy, and then I saw this trio. They are fawn silver duckwing color and so cute. Two hens and a roo. I just couldn't pass 'em up....

6. Mojo Chick'n

I know, I already want MORE!! LOL hubby says to wait at least until the new coop is totally done. They are in the new coop now, but it is only 1/3 finished. Then they get to go to the big coop, and the large breeds are going into the new coop. (big coop is easier to keep warm in winter - smaller babies I figure need it a little warmer).

I definately want some more red pyle girls for the roo, and maybe some of the crele I saw this one guy had - those were pretty too. I saw some blacks, but mostly BB Reds.
    Even though the BB Red girls all look the same I love how they look, and they have funny personalities - one of the bb red hens was following me around trying to pose (and figure out what that thing attached to my face was.)
    She's the one in the 7th pic down.

Peace -
    Meriah

7. Fowl-Language

Fowl-Language Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Longview, WA
    They're gorgeous! That's a lotta comb for such a little roo!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by