Its like walking on eggshells barefoot!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by amamaofmany, Mar 25, 2009.

1. amamaofmany

amamaofmany Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    west virginia
    WAITING....

According to my purchase invoice, Ideal shipped my order of 13 babies (and any packing peanuts) today! But the payment money still shows in my account. No one called to say there was a problem, though, and it is probably just processing....yeah, still just processing....the paranoia, the anxiety, the FEAR that they will not arrive by Friday! The fear that if they don't arrive I'll EXPLODE! Last week the Ideal Rep said they won't call unless there's a problem with shipping, to expect them by Friday.....and any packing peanuts will be marked....'cause I'm a newbie and won't know one from the other....must breathe....in...out...in...out

Post office is all geared up to call me when the box arrives (they tell me that'll be about 5 am. My mail lady is about as excited than I am, I think! I'm naming one Shirley in her honor.)

I've got the brooder box set up with red heat lamp, the bedpad in the bottom to catch the poo, the feeders sitting ready to be filled by the 50 lb bag of starter....the waterer...the digital camera has a new battery...its all just sitting there, empty, waiting, waiting waiting ..... the Anticipation is going to kill me!

AHHHHHHRRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!

There.

I'll feel better....as soon as they all arrive! In...out...in...out... [​IMG]

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Deep breaths ....Maybe you should meditate.... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Oceanseve

Oceanseve Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    [​IMG] Right there with you!! They left nebraska today! Will we have problem with the post office? Will they all make it here?? My Mother in law is not going to like getting that early call saying they are in!! But we couldn't have them sent to our address, talk about red flag! I just wish hubby had given them our phone number, not hers [​IMG] Its only 25, will there be enough heat? What if its a total loss??? The brooder is ready, just adjust the heat accordingly to get the right height on the lamp..... AHHHHH!!! I can't wait!! what if they don't come tomorrow? Then I'm really going to be wigging out!! [​IMG]

Breathe............

4. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    You'll do great! The waiting for them is the hard///////////// (cat typing for me...sorry)

As I was saying: The waiting is the hardest part. The being late for work, late to bed, not eating, ignoring laundry, the other animals, your family, and forgetting to brush your teeth because you're sitting next to the brooder watching every move(ment) your cute little peeps make - that part comes next....

5. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    My ideal charge didn't come until AFTER I got my chicks.. it's fine. Your post office is on the ball and you're ready... make sure you go to bed early cuz man that 5am phone call [​IMG]

I had only 1 of my packing panuts not arrive alive. I was bummed, but when they sent me 16 extra chickens I was not about to haggle over 1 poor baby. The "ordered chicks" seem to continue to excel (even my runt red leghorn whom I adore and has the most personality).

6. amamaofmany

Oct 22, 2008
    west virginia
    My ideal charge didn't come until AFTER I got my chicks.. it's fine. Your post office is on the ball and you're ready... make sure you go to bed early cuz man that 5am phone call

Oh, man! I'm not going to be getting any sleep on Friday. I have a high functioning autistic son who is six, but does NOT sleep until he just collapses from running out of juice. I can't leave him alone awake, because he has no common sense & could do a lot of damage to himself or the house if left awake alone! I normally don't even get to bed until 2:30 or 3 am.

Fortunately, my husband took the day off so he could do the run to the PO for me. (In his note to his boss, he wrote "I need the day off because 13 cute chicks are coming to the house. And my wife is paying for them!" which gave his boss a laugh! And my husband the day off)

Not that I'll be sleeping -- I'll be home getting the feeder & waterer ready! At least I won't have to drive. I might hit something in my sleepy-excited state!

I fully expect to be a lunatic mess for 5 or 6 weeks! Well, more of a lunitic mess than usual, anyway.[​IMG]

As I was saying: The waiting is the hardest part. The being late for work, late to bed, not eating, ignoring laundry, the other animals, your family, and forgetting to brush your teeth because you're sitting next to the brooder watching every move(ment) your cute little peeps make - that part comes next....

Sounds like my normal day minus the peeps! [​IMG]

I'll also have to do major guard duty until those peeps go outside. Not only do I have my gorgeous Wonderboy of 6, but I have a very lively 3 year old who doesn't understand the word NO very well just yet. And three idiot dogs who I know would just eat the little things if they hit the floor for any reason. I won't have to do it alone, mind you, because I have 4 teens in the house and a 9 year old girl (who is somewhat more mature than the 12 year old boy who fancies himself a teen already) - so plenty of eyes. But I'm ultimately the responsible adult.

Or at least, that's the theory. [​IMG]

Oceanserve - make sure you post here when your babies arrive! We can celebrate, all blearyeyed and weepy tomorrow!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

edited for some clarity. not sure I succeeded there, but I tried.​

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  7. Oceanseve

Oceanseve Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    MIL got the call at 7:15 this morning, they were in the car by 8 and in the brooder by 9. Not one dead, even better, I got one extra [​IMG]

[​IMG]

That is the only spare feeder we have, I need to go pick up some more small ones cause this one just is not going to work.

Hope you get yours today!!!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  8. amamaofmany

Oct 22, 2008
    west virginia
    [​IMG]

No babies, not today! Friday.

They WILL come Friday.

Friday. PleaseletthemcomeonFriday!

pleaseohpleaseohplease let them come on Friday!

Sigh.

I'm sooooo jealous!

Congratulations, though, Oceanseve! [​IMG]

9. amamaofmany

Oct 22, 2008
    west virginia
    They're HERE! [​IMG] I'm a Mama to Many chickens, too! [​IMG]

The pale yellow may be the Silver-grey Dorking - ?
    [​IMG]

I think this is the Speckled Sussex
    [​IMG]

Australorps, black stars, cuckoo marans and the gold black-laced wyandotte - can't tell them apart.
    [​IMG]

We also got 9 production red male packing peanuts. Aggressive little boogers. We've named them: "Pot Pie" "Fryer" "KFC" "Broiler" "Fricassee" "Noodle Soup" "Chicken Salad" "A la King" and "Coque au Vin"

SO excited!

Everyone looks happy & healthy so far! The one I was a little concerned about took a bit of sugar water and perked right up. [​IMG]

They are so cute!

Edited because I named one male KFC (after you know who) not KOC (after the Knights of Columbus) not that the lack of sleep should be blamed.....

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  10. cimarron

cimarron Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Central Tejas
    congrats! i'm jealous of you new mammas

i think the ones with the chipmunk stripes are ameraucanas...at least that's how mine looked when they were little

have fun!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by