it's my first chick and he has watery, bubbly eyes...please help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by peter's babysitter, Mar 28, 2009.

1. peter's babysitter

peter's babysitter New Egg

Mar 28, 2009
    it's been a week and i don't know what to do.

my chick is scratching his eyes. one time one of the eyes bled.

it's swollen now, with half of its eyes covered....

please help, i really don't know what to do and i don't want it to die

thank you for any help

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  2. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Welcome to BYC!

Your chick sounds like he's got quite an infection going.
    Get some eye wash and wash his eyes out first of all. Make sure to wear plastic gloves so you don't infect your other chick's eyes or your own. If you have some Betadine Solution, dilute this in some sterile saline or sterile water until it looks like very weak tea and flush the eyes with that at least 3 times a day.
    Get some terramycin OPTHALMIC <eye ointment> at either your vet or the local co-op or pet supply store and then put that on each eye, making sure to not touch the tip directly to the eye so that you don't contaminate the ointment.

If that doesn't start clearing it up in about 3 days, you may need to use a different antibiotic eye ointment.

I'd also make sure you put some ACV<apple cider vinegar> in their water and give some yogurt and scrambled egg to this chick to help his protein level and immune system build up. I use the Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar and get it at the health food store.
    You can also give the chick some liquid children's vitamins, Poly Vi Sol withOUT the iron. 3 drops along the beak daily for at least a week and then taper off the dosage after the week. This will help with any deficiencies and help build up it's immune system as well.

There are also some diseases that have the symptoms you describe, hopefully someone familiar with those can post too and help more.
    Good luck, keep us posted and if you have pics you can post of what the eyes look like, that helps a great bit.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by