It's MY Turn!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ma, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Ma

Ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Camanche, Iowa
    Yes, we got our first egg from one of our Orpington hens, 24 weeks to the day old. We have 4 SLW and 4 Orpies. Of them all, she was the last I figured to be first!

We almost culled her because we could not figure out why she wa so small compared to the others, and thought there might be a problem. I am so glad we made the right decision, I could not bring myself to part with her. And she gives me the first ( did I say perfect?[​IMG]) egg!

How can a person get so excited about this event! I was beserk! At first I thought she was lost because I could not find her and was having an enormous fit. Then I thought to look in the nesting boxes (we have 36) and there she was! I left her be, came back 1/2 hour later and she was out. I looked inside and walah! A perfect little brown egg!

Sheesh, now I understand what all the fuss is about![​IMG]

P.S. How many eggs can a hen lay in one week?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Congrats! She can lay seven in a week, one per day, but will probably skip a day here and there and will most likely stop for a period when she eventually does her first real molt.

3. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Quote:36 that means that you should have 4-6 per box so about 100+ more chickens to fill up those boxes.

at best 7 per week getting 6 is good.

4. Ma

Ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Camanche, Iowa
    Um,.............yes. Its quite a LARGE coop for our 8 hens and 1 rooster!

It was built for 100+ birds. Our birds think they are aristocrats! (And we treat them as such, lol!)

The coop came with the farm we are leasing and is amazingly well kept. It was built in the early 50's with a cement foundation (footing) with a dirt floor. With a few touch up here and there, new roof, etc, its back to its prime.

Who knows? Maybe we'll end up with a hundred birds! [​IMG]

5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Hang around here and you will [​IMG]

Congrats on your egg. It never stops being exciting.

6. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Quote:Stick around here long enough and you will need to add on to your present coop. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by