It's nesting box day!

KarynVA

Crowing
May 29, 2020
SW Virginia
My 3 Golden Comets are 18-19 weeks old and one of the three of them (largest/ somewhat older) has started showing bright-ish red comb and wattles. The other two are not, yet. I haven't seen squatting behavior yet. But I'm going ahead and open up access to the nesting boxes and put in a fake egg so they will get used to the boxes and start to understand what they are for, hopefully.

I know there's no rushing the eggs, laying will happen when the pullets are good and ready. But I'm excited to take that next step toward the happy day of first 🥚.

But I'm going ahead and open up access to the nesting boxes and put in a fake egg so they will get used to the boxes and start to understand what they are for, hopefully.
..and learn not to sleep in them at night.

I noticed today someone must have been in there kicking up the straw so hopefully soon!!!
IME, this is the most concrete sign the eggs appear within a day or three.

Woohoo! Today is the day. My 20 weeks old Golden Comet/ red sex-link laid her first egg this morning after trying out 2 of the 3 nesting boxes. She finally settled in one and quietly laid this beauty. No eggsong; but I had been keeping an eye on her this morning because she was spending so much time in the nesting boxes.

In the photo below, the front, larger egg is a fake one.

first egg and fake egg resized 10-2-2020.png
first egg in hand resized.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom