It's not going away

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Justhatched, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Justhatched

Justhatched Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    What is the longest a chick has had pasty butt? I'm dealing with one that has had it for 3 weeks now. We feed all our chicks medicated mash, poly vi sol in their water and yogurt daily. I also try to keep the brooder at the right temperature. They are 4 weeks now. I feel bad for this little one. It seems to have gotten better but still hasn't gone away. Am I missing something? I heard about people dealing with it for days not weeks.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'd withdraw the vitamins in the water. They don't need those daily for that long. Try some organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar with "the mother" (sediment) in it, a couple teaspoons to a quart of water, only in plastic waterers not metal. Do that for a few days. Be sure no sugar is being consumed, either. Is it really pasty butt where the poop clogs the vent up or just messy on the fluff?

3. Justhatched

May 24, 2011
    It's really pasty butt. The vent is clogged. Well, I think. Every time I check him/her the vent is covered in poop. He/she doesn't have any fluff immediately around his/her vent. We currently have a metal waterer so we'd have to get a new one for the apple cider vinegar. Is it bad to give the vitamins for a long time. I was under the impression it was okay to give always. What will the apple cider vinegar to and how long do I give it? Any other advice?

4. speckledhen

I have never had a chick with pasty butt for more than a couple days, much less weeks on end. The vitamins themselves may be contributing to that. I've never used them, only Avia Charge 2000 which is made for birds, and only every few waterer refills, not every day. Withdraw the vitamins, give them plain water for a couple days, then if it doesn't clear up, you could try the apple cider vinegar for a couple days. Also, how much yogurt are you giving? Is it plain? They should only have plain and don't need it every day; then, only a tablespoon or so, not a lot.

5. GrannysRoost

GrannysRoost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Casa Grande
    I have had a 2-week chick we hatched with pasty butt. Started giving them the apple cider vinegar in the water and all are well, but the one. I cleaned her up good last night with after soaking well having to cut a really hard chunk of poo from the fuzz, then I took a Q-tip dipped in olive oil and smeared around her vent...She is still fine today... Good luck!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  6. Justhatched

May 24, 2011
    Quote:I stopped giving the vitamins and didn't give them yogurt today. (yes it's plain) We have a metal waterer and need to get a plastic one for the apple cider vinegar. How much should I use and for how long?

7. speckledhen

Quote:

8. RachaelS

RachaelS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I put olive oil on my girls and she was cleared up quick

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Me too if you mean olive oil on the butt. I also once read that in finches with messy butt, you give them a bit of bread soaked in milk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by