1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

it's not me, it's my dog... g'day, eh, from rural ontario, canada

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by threenorns, May 7, 2009.

1. threenorns

threenorns New Egg

May 7, 2009
    hi - i live in gelert, ontario (don't bother - you won't find it on most maps), just south of algonquin park.

i have a border collie, dandy (short for "dandelion") who is an absolute jewel but, alas, smarter than i am. i therefore had to get him a job and that job will be Official Chicken-Keeper.

there's a ramshackle old shed in front of my house. one part tacked onto the side was clearly originally a chicken coop so i'm returning it to its original function.

i'm not going to bother with an outdoor run, though - that's the dog's job, to keep them all contained and away from the river and the road.

also going organic free-range because i'm a) too poor and in any case, b) too d--d cheap to buy all that chemical dreck i was advised to stuff down the bird's gullet so they'd pump out eggs like a machinegun on full-autofire.

the coop's interior will be built using the wood remains of the old roof to the house that was replaced a few months ago so right now i'm spending my days cleaning the shingles off the boards and sorting the wood into "compost", "building", and "burning" piles.

anybody got any ideas for the shingle bits and pieces? costs a fortune to have them carted off and the smell is unbearable if they're burned.

2. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from arizona!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. mwdh1

mwdh1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Indiana
    [​IMG]

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    [​IMG]

5. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    [​IMG]

My cousin took old shingles and laid then around the entry to one of his sheds. Makes sort of a patio effect that holds back vegetation growth and mud.

I've also seen people use shingles as paths through gardens, but it doesn't sound very "organic" if that is a veggie garden.

6. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

[​IMG] from VA!

7. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

8. peckndirt

peckndirt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    North Carolina