It's Not My Maran...Confused!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mountain Sunshine, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Mountain Sunshine

Mountain Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2009
    Cleveland, Georgia
    Yesterday I thought my Cuckoo Maran must have laid her first egg. I found an egg that was larger than the rest, smoother and darker. So, my first thought that it must have been her. Well this morning when I went out to the coop, to my surprise Roxy, one of the BO's was just getting up from laying an egg and it was the same egg from yesterday morning.
    I am slightly confused. The BO's eggs are usually lighter and not quiet as large. Now all of a sudden this BO is producing quite large, and darker eggs? How does that happen?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  2. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    I'm not sure, but there was someone on here who had a picture of a carton of eggs and they all looked really different. But they were all from the same hen! Let me see if I can find it.

3. wordgirl

Apr 14, 2009
    It's the 3rd and 4th pictures on post #32 on this page:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3420282#p3420282

I think it's just those four brown eggs she must be talking about. I guess they're not terribly different, but they're not all exactly the same.

How long has your hen been laying? As for size, she may just be starting to produce larger eggs than her very first ones.

4. Mountain Sunshine

Oct 24, 2009
    Cleveland, Georgia
    Quote:She is a yr old so she has been laying for a while now. Her eggs have been very light pink. Now to a dark drown. I will take a picture and add them on here to show the difference. I was just amazed!

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I've seen hens go on a nest and stay a while, yet not lay an egg while they are there. Is it possible the Maran laid earlier and the Orp came off the nest before she had finished laying? I've had hens leave the nest when I go into the coop when they had just gotten onto the nest and had not really settled in.

6. wordgirl

Apr 14, 2009
    Quote:Yes, I was wondering that, too. Was any of the bloom still wet?

7. Mountain Sunshine

Oct 24, 2009
    Cleveland, Georgia
    The lighting on these are not very good, they were taken with my phone. So the color of the new egg doesn't really show how dark it really is. But the difference is a lot.
    And the size is different. I am just amazed at the difference of the eggs she is producing all of a sudden!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Mountain Sunshine

Oct 24, 2009
    Cleveland, Georgia
    Quote:It's possible. You mean the Maran laid the egg and the OB went and sat on the egg and got up before she laid her own?

9. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Exactly

10. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:It's possible. You mean the Maran laid the egg and the OB went and sat on the egg and got up before she laid her own?

If the egg had JUST been laid from your BO the bloom on it probably would have still been wet when you picked it up.

I agree sometimes they sit there and don't lay. My Redstar squalked and squalked till she was able to get into her favored nest. Next thing I know, literally 1 minute later - she's out again and there's a Leghorn in there. When the Leghorn got up there was a brown egg. So if I didn't know any better I could have assumed that the Leghorn laid the brown egg. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by