It's Official -- eggs in the homemade incubator -- stay tuned

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jamij, Mar 1, 2012.

1. jamij

jamij Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    The Jann Family has added the eggs to the incubator (we were blessed by someone local on this group who gave us some free fertilized Silkie eggs). We hope to add other kinds of chickens to our coop but wanted to start with these for hatching and learning for our homeschooling.

It's been a fun process already -- we made the incubator as a family. Let it sit for a couple of days to be sure we had it where it needed to be as far as temps/humidity. We added the eggs last night (after naming each one :)) and doing some guestimation and fun things.

Today we started our chicken lapbooks to go along with this process for our science unit.

With any luck we will have some successful hatchings and lots of learning along the way. Plus....in the end we will have a chicken coop outside with laying hens (we plan to buy some other layers in a few weeks :))

Thanks to everyone who has had such great hints and tips for us. This site is amazing!!!

[​IMG]

2. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    We built one of these today as well for my daughter's homeschool science project. We're lucky that we already have laying hens and a roo so we hopefully have fertilized eggs in it for now. I guess we'll know in about 7 - 10 days. Good luck and keep us informed on how yours go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by