It's official, I hate that dog.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Bettacreek, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    The bf's dog, Raven, used to be such a well-mannered dog. She'd listen to everything and was just generally well-behaved. Now, I'm not sure what's wrong, but the dog is such a pain in the... yeah. My theory on her not listening anymore is because she's mad at me because I "stole her boyfriend". I think she hates me now because the boyfriend doesn't spend as much time with her, and because she gets in trouble when he's playing with the kids and she tries to barge in. She won't listen to me worth a darned anymore. I can't even take her out to go potty without her running. She won't go if I take her on the leash. I've had people knocking on the door to return our dog. Once, she ran when I was letting her pee before the kids and I went to Walmart. I said screw it, I wasn't driving the streets to look for her. I returned two hours later and had a note on the door from someone in the next town over. I called and they returned the dog that "listens so well, she's such a good, well-trained dog!" Then, the boyfriend comes home and gives me holy heck because he doesn't want anything to happen. She's a pitty and since most people assume that they're aggressive, he's afraid that they'll try to hurt her. Anyways, I'm seriously going to tell the boyfriend that he's going to have to figure something else out, because I refuse to take her out anymore. I refuse to be held responsible because the dog doesn't listen to me. I'm just so fed up with this dog that it's not even funny. If the boyfriend didn't like her so much, I'd have told the other people to keep her if they wanted her. That, or shoot the darned thing. We can't afford to buy electric fencing or a shock collar, especially since I'm really the only one she refuses to listen to. I've just had it with this dog. Anyways, end rant.

2. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    She's jealous of the attention your getting and isn't seeing you as her "boss". I went throught this with my husbands dog many moons ago. It takes time but she will come around as soon as she starts to see you as a dominant member of her family. Take her out on the leash. That is the only way she will start to respect you and see you as the boss. She is non agressivly challenging you to be the dominate female. If she is on the leash and won't "go" then put her up. If you leash her everytime you take her out she will learn. If your boyfriend lets her get away with this behavior while he is there then he is part of the problem. She is following his lead by assuming that she is above you in the pecking order. If he is there when she ignores you HE needs to correct her as well and not baby her.

3. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    You'll need to take over the "dog chores" in order for her to respect you. YOU feed her, take her out, reward her, discipline her, etc. Boyfriend should ignore her for a while. When he comes home, he ignores her - not look at her, not pet her, etc. Then you call her and give her a treat when she comes to you. Retrain boyfriend and dog.

4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    At the moment she's above you in the pack order. There's no need to get rid of the dog, you just need to work with her everyday to show her that YOU are above her in the pack order. Pits can be strong willed and determined dogs, if you don't start working with her now it will only get worse. The people that posted above me have some really good suggestions, try following them ASAP.

5. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Even though she may already be trained, you might want to take her to an obedience class, if one is available. That might specifically get the point across. [​IMG]

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    At the moment she's above you in the pack order. There's no need to get rid of the dog, you just need to work with her everyday to show her that YOU are above her in the pack order.

[​IMG]

7. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Quote:[​IMG]

Unfortunately, as someone else mentioned, the boyfriend needs trained in that before I can do anything. When I tell her something, he overrides me and lets her do it anyways... Another part of the reason I can hardly stand the dog. It's just a bad situation, and the boyfriend certainly isn't helping it any. So, now, how to train the boyfriend AND the dog at the same time?

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:[​IMG]

Yup, remember, you are the smarter of the two- get her to respect you and she will come to love you. BF needs to back you up on dicipline.

9. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Sadly, training the bf will be much harder than training the dog. Might try pulling a hissy with the bf over the dog, but if you take the dog to a class you can make sure BF doesn't come with to interfere.

10. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    hmmm....if he does this with the dog....what happens with the kids? He may let you have the last word with YOUR kids, but I'm betting that if you have any together, you may find they become just as bad as the dog....and for the same reason! NOBODY should be above you in pack order/family order in his eyes. Otherwise he lacks respect for you. And if you don't have respect for one another above all else, what DO you have? Certainly not a happy relationship or a happy life.

Just a thought.

Rusty

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by