It's official: I have Buckeyes! Photos **Updated**

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ZooMummzy, May 13, 2010.

1. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I have wanted this breed since the first year I started raising chickens. I am from the state of Ohio so I really wanted to add them to my flock. I've also heard they are wonderful chickens, docile and hardy and I love the dark chestnut coloring. Each year the hatcheries sell out before I could buy and and I had a hard time finding a breeder in my area. Tomorrow I am receiving 6 less than a week old chicks from a new friend I met at our swap last month. She lives on the coast and is breeding Buckeyes. Best deal: she will take back any boys that I get in the bunch if I can't sell them. It's a completely win/win situation! I'm so excited to get these little cuties!!! [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  2. Marie1234

Marie1234 Songster

Mar 29, 2010
    Congratulations! I hear from people that are lucky enough to have them that they are wonderful birds.

3. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Songster

Dec 28, 2009
    Awesome!! There is a complete Buckeye thread on the BYC forum and the ppl. there talk very highly of them. I wanted them as well, but I have 5 different breeds now and am running out of space..good luck with them.

4. bakerjw

bakerjw Songster

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    I wanted to get some Buckeyes after going here ->>> http://www.albc-usa.org/cpl/wtchlist.html#chickens and seeing them on the critical list. I think that conservation of vanishing breeds is very important. I know that eventually I'll have some Buckeyes and probably some Creve Couer chickens as well.

Bravo to you!

5. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I finally got them! 6 little Buckeyes...I love them [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  6. buffbeauty

buffbeauty Songster

May 13, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    My mom jenjscott here on NYC is also a Ohio native and chose buckeyes. She has had them for maybe year now and has done tons of research (well probably, knowing her) so she is a good resource also hatches lots of eggs!! So if anyone is in need???.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by