It's official . . . I'm a chicken addict

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Keystone newbie, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Keystone newbie

Keystone newbie Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2008
    Keystone Heights, FL
    My 10 babies turned two weeks old yesterday. I'm amazed at how huge they are. We had to expand their brooder and I'm getting worried that they'll be the size of horses before we get their coop done. So, what do I do today? Yep, I got more chickens!

A localish hardware store had a sign that said, "Chicks are here." How can you resist something like that? So I popped in. They had Anconas and Black Sex Links that seem to be just a day or two old. As tempting as the Anconas were (they grow to such beautfiul birds), I opted for the easy-to-sex variety and got myself two Sex Link pullets. They're now happily esconced in their own brooder next to the cousins. Now I can see just how huge my first babies are! What does Purina put in its crumbles, anyway! [​IMG]

I just wanted to share the news with folks who will all nod in understanding about why I could not ignore that sign at the hardware store.

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Ha, ha, ha! We've converted another helpless soul to the wonderful world of chickens! Anything we can do to help you with your addiction ... just let us know. More chicks anyone? [​IMG]

3. Keystone newbie

May 1, 2008
    Keystone Heights, FL
    [​IMG]

4. Robin L

Robin L Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Oh I know how you feel, wouldnt be able to pass that up either and then come home with my head down to tell hubby [​IMG]
    I had chickens for a year before I got my babies and found this forum. Now I dont know if it is the babies or this forum but Im so hooked on getting different breeds and learning as much as I can. Either way Thank you!

BTW I got some new chicks coming first part of July and I got these from a wonderful member [​IMG]

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I know EXACTLY how you feel and just what you mean! I'm impressed that you were able to just walk away with two though. I now have 46 chicks in my flock, have plans to pick up 7 more on Sat., and have 35 eggs in my bator that are looking great and are due to hatch on Sunday. SIGH! Thank heavens I have plans to sell a lot of these babies on Sat. at our chicken swap and spatcher is coming on Thursday to get 10 for his flock. SHEW! I can't keep all of these babies, but it's so hard to say no when they are just so darn cute! [​IMG]

6. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    I am new to chickens too, but now I know I wouldnt have been able to walk away with two. Last year it was Guineas. This year added chicks to the farm. Now the bator is full again with eggs and I keep looking at more.

Is there a Chick-a-non chapter anywhere?

7. Robin L

Robin L Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Well at leat we admitt we have a addition and thats the first step [​IMG]

8. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    THIS IS THE CHICK-A-NON Chapter [​IMG]

LOL we help with your addiction!! NOT;

From the one who was only supposed to get 3 chicks - currently have 6 and have 23 eggs in the bator - and expecting another 12 LOL

Louella

9. Keystone newbie

May 1, 2008
    Keystone Heights, FL
    See, I knew everyone here would understand! It's funny. I managed to just get two . . . and now I wish I had picked up four. With the exception of my EE, I have four pullets of each type. I should have kept that number going.

So . . . maybe I should go back for two more tomorrow! Yes? [​IMG]

10. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Welcome to the club! We are all fuzzy butt silly here and we take every chance to indulge our habits and we are more than happy to enable any and all who enter here!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by