It's official... I'm selling the magpies UPDATE: New home found!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by iamcuriositycat, Aug 27, 2011.

1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    So another runner started laying this morning, so I'm now up to 2 eggs per day per 6 hens. Magpies are supposed to be excellent layers and Holderread is supposed to be the best there is (and color-wise and body-shape-wise that certainly seems to be true), but I'm not impressed with the laying skill of these particular three. They did lay VERY well this Spring. But not at all since.

Anyway, if I can sell these four, I'll be purchasing some silkies to grow out for next spring, and use them to incubate next year. I've always kind of wanted silkies anyway. And this will keep my total number of backyard birds low, which helps keep my husband happy and my hobby in good graces. [​IMG]

I did post pictures in the auction section, if you're interested: Magpie Auction

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  2. agregg15

agregg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut
    If only I lived closer...

3. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Oh, come on. That's only... an eight hour drive right? We've got a guest room... [​IMG]

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Quote:[​IMG]

At least you are providing lodging.

Are you getting silkies to incubate your runner eggs?

5. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:URG!!! If I didnt have ducklings coming soon I would have magpies! I want some soooo bad! But by the end of this year I will have .....14 ducks? So no room for more [​IMG]

6. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Quote:No. Seriously. You do not understand duck math, do you? Let me explain:

3 + 11 = (however many your property can possibly sustain)

You will not be able to stop at 14 anyway, so why not get the breed you've been wanting while you can? [​IMG] Besides, you really need these pretty darlings. I'll send you their baby pictures as part of the deal. I really need the space cause... I've got silkies coming Thursday!

[​IMG]

7. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Quote:Thanks, hee hee. Yup, that's partly why I want silkies. Also, they're pretty. Also, I've heard they're friendly, like a flock of kittens in the backyard. Also, I have room for them. And my husband didn't say no. [​IMG]

8. agregg15

agregg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut
    Quote:[​IMG] I don't have a license or car so how long would it take to bike or walk? [​IMG]

9. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I told myself when the ducks I have now, or when 5 or 6 die (which I hope doesnt happen soon) I will be bring in some 6 magpies. I love em. And trust me my mom said "no more ducks!" So no more means no more. Lol. But if she would let me they would be mine! Lol. When I move out of mom and dads, I want 6 magpies, 5 rouens, 4 khakis, 5 calls, and 8 welsh harlequin. I want tons! No room her though.

10. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Well, all right. Those are acceptable excuses. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by