Its official!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ladybug2001, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Ladybug2001

Ladybug2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Because MPC was quickly running out of availability in chicks, I decided to go ahead in order. My initial flock did not turn out, some were completely sold out until September.

So here is an updated list of what I am actually getting, I put the order in today. They are shipping April 28th! It feels a little late in the year, but it will be fine.

Rhode Island Red
    Delaware
    Barred Plymouth Rock
    Australorp
    Speckled Sussex
    Salmon Faverolles
    Easter Egger
    Welsummer
    Silver Laced Polish
    Buff Chantecler
    White Cochin
    Silver Lakenvelder
    Ancona
    Blue Laced Wyandotte
    annnnnnddddd......
    MYSTERY CHICK

Four chicks are rare.
    All but two (and I didn't mean to do this), are cold hardly. So I'll have to be extra careful with the Polish and Lakenvelder when it gets cold.
    Most lay 4-5 eggs a week, except for three.
    Two lay extra large eggs, the rest lay large to medium, except for the Polish.

I accidently ended up with the odd balls, I had to have 15 chicks for it to ship so I picked a few random ones. Those being the Delaware, Polish, Lakenvelder and the Mystery.

Though those 15 are going to be added to my two RSL hens and my Buff Orpington Rooster.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Looks like a really nice assortment of chicks you are expecting, that is going to be an interesting flock. I have Lakenvelders females in central Ohio, we get to zero or a little below and have not had real problems with them and the cold weather, they don't lay as well in the cold as they do the summer, but seem just as active and happy as everybody else. The Polish do have some problems with the cold, but more with the crests if it rains/snows or with the drinking water and the crests get wet and then freeze, than the actual temperature, I usually trim back the crest feathers pretty well if they start doing that.

3. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    cool! Did you end up getting the chicks, pics??

4. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Fifteen chicks, exactly!

I just had McMurray charge my card this week for my own order. It's due the week of April 7th.

But I ordered... um... 42.
    SHH!

Share pics when you get them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by