it's ok to seperate 1 day old baby with their mommy

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by luckygarden, Apr 30, 2009.

1. luckygarden

luckygarden Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2008
    Leander TX
    I have 2 momma chickens (1 year old buff orp and new hampshire) sit on bunch of egg together, my husband made few nesting box stack together, each box about 24"x24'x24", i called 3 stories nesting box, they are sitting on the 2nd floor, it's about 4 ft from the ground.

anyway last week I saw 3 babies, because they are quite high from the floor, I thought I better took them and put on the brooder, I am afraid they will fall, i know momma chicks will protect them but i still wants her sit on the rest of the eggs
    I put them on the brooder, they were very noisy for hours, i guess they are looking for their mommy

yesterday I saw another baby chick hatched, I did the same thing, I took the baby out and put on the brooder with other 3 babies

She was noisy and few minutes later one of the chick reply back
    like she said, I am bad person took them from their mother

Anyway I write this because I feel guilty and thought maybe I should put them with their mother
    They are doing fine now, I just feel bad

Is that okay i keep steal her baby until all the eggs are gone, do you think mommy chicks will not sit again in the future when they know her baby keep disappear

thanks for listen

2. emilyweck

emilyweck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Eugene, Oregon
    I can't help you, but good luck. Someone should know this answer. Bump.

3. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    I have done the same,several times do
    to the fact the mother didnt seem to care where she walked and we lost 7 of her little ones ,so she hatched and we raised in a brooder with a simple 60 watt red bulb. in the house.all are happy , healthy.and 4months old.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Anyway I write this because I feel guilty and thought maybe I should put them with their mother
    They are doing fine now, I just feel bad

You have not done anything wrong. Don't feel guilty. You were protecting the chicks. I would not try to let two mother hens raise the chicks. I think you should select one of the hens and let her raise them and break the other from being broody. Often, two hens will fight over the chicks and may accidently hurt the chicks in the fight. They can also hurt each other.

Is that okay i keep steal her baby until all the eggs are gone, do you think mommy chicks will not sit again in the future when they know her baby keep disappear

Whether they go broody again will depend on hormones. You taking the chicks from them will have no effect on whether they go broody again.

5. luckygarden

luckygarden Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2008
    Leander TX
    thank you for all your answer, the babies are doing fine and the momma still sit on other eggs

I just feel guilty to the mommy chicken because she sit for 21 days and no babies.

I will let her raise the babies when she hatched her last egg, I saw only 2 eggs left, hope other chicken will net lay egg on her box

hope central texas weather will not too hot this late spring and summer because I need to extend my coop, too small for the number of chicks I had.

again thanks ya'll have a good sunday

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by