It's Only 8 More + All Moved!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Reyvaughn, May 16, 2011.

1. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Yep, I am finally done brooding chicks in the house. The dust and poop on my floor has gotten to my last nerve. It's been over 2 months, so I feel I tolerated it plenty long enough. I sectioned off my 30x12' shed so the girls have 20x12' of it. I moved all the pullets in to the shed and put the roosters in the coop. There are 24 rooster in there and 2 I am not quite sure of in with the pullets. I alos moved my 6x4' brooder into the shed with the pullets. I have 4 Silkies, 2 Tetra Tints (w/ spots) and my 8 new chicks in there.

It's taken me the better part of 2 weeks to get all of this done. I have been taking care of a semi-invalid 79yr old woman who's going through a divorce for the last 2 weeks. We finally got her back into her own home and quite a bit of stress has been lifted. This will be the first time I've been able to post since this all started, actually. I did manage to go to Chcickenstock at Steph and Jason's on Saturday (New Tripoli, PA). I went with 10 pullets and came back with the same 10. I met a couple of BYCers and I had a good time.

To brighten my day, Agway called to let me know they had extra Barred rocks, since I am pretty sure all 5 BRs and the 5 PRs I got from them are roos, I put my name on a list for pullets. I went to pick my girls up and saw they still had Buff Orpingtons! So, I got 4 of each! Yay! So excited!

I'm so happy to be back on BYC! I missed it these last 2 weeks!

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Oh I hear you! I had chicks in the house FOREVER (yep about 2 months) this spring too and gosh it's nice to get them out of here!

Grats on your BO's! I lubs my orps [​IMG]

3. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Here's the shed! It's not quite done. I have some small cracks I want to cover and 4 sections of the eaves I need to wire. I'm afraid a weasel will get in there and the small cracks I am afraid of snakes and rats getting in (not that I have ever seen a rat here and I do have 7 cats, but you never know).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, when I went down to check to see how the open brooder with all of those pullets was going, I noticed one of my Orps hanging her one wing. I thought for sure it was broke since she didn't use it the first time I picked her up. The second time she used it so... I thought of Floppy, my SS that didn't eat for 6 days. I showed her the water and food again and she drank and drank and drank. I don't think she could find it after I first showed them yesterday, or she was to afraid with the big girls getting in and on the brooder. I'll have to make a lid for that brooder, I guess. It was on the agenda, I just haven't had the time.

My pics of the Orps and BRs didn't come out very well, so I will share pics once I get some new ones taken.

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Wow thats going to be a nice coop! Can't wait see pics of your babies [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by