It's Over!!! Thanks To All

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chayton, Nov 26, 2009.

1. chayton

chayton Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    Weatherford, TX
    Well the hatch is over. Out of 24 total, 12 Black Copper Marans(9 chicks), & 12 Ameracunas(11 chicks) 21 new additions.

Very successful hatch, especially for the first time and with a home made incubator.

THANKS to all that had very helpful answers to my many questions.

This all started because some of my earliest memories(I'm now 55) at the age of 4 was my mother and me building an incubator out of a cardboard box, light bulb and Jesus thermometer-placing 6 eggs and going thru the hatch.

I wanted my 5 year old grand daughter to live the same experience so that's what we just did.

We made some mistakes along the way but I guess none to major. We had to help seveeral Marans thru the hatch, they probably would have been ok but several pipped and after 10 hrs we cracked some shell away to help them hatch. Last night we had two left that had pipped bu not hatched so we put a damp paper towel around them and left them for the night, this morning both were chirping and runnin around the incubator.

Again, many thanks to all that guided us thru this process, we'll now move to the Raising Chicks Board.

2. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    Wow!!! 21 out of 24 eggs for your first hatch!!! Great hatch!!!

Enjoy your babies and congrats!!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Congratulations on a very good hatch!

But you might do a recount- 9 + 11 = 20

At least that's what my fingers and toes say! [​IMG]

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:We think alike.

Congrats on the hatch!!!

5. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Awesome!

6. chayton

chayton Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    Weatherford, TX
    I really can add I just cant type, and I'm a school teacher. 12 Ameracunas 9 Marans

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:[​IMG] I had to double check myself, and I was a math whiz in college! [​IMG]

A great hatch still, well done!

8. dovecanyon

dovecanyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    How encouraging for those of us getting ready to start our first hatch! I am doing the same thing with my son, for the same reasons- hope our story turns out as well as yours. Your grandaughter is fortunate to have someone share these types of experiences with her. Congratulations! Can't wait to see pictures- of the chicks and your grandaughter.

9. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Never mind the part about it being the first hatch, what impresses me more is that you did it with a HOMEMADE incubator! You can't have made too many mistakes with that hatch rate! Congratulations!

Maybe you should start making and selling incubators!

10. dragonchick

dragonchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    Congrats on the great hatch. I just have 1 question!!!!! WHERE ARE THE PICTURES?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by