It's puffball mushroom season!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by boxermom, Sep 28, 2010.

1. boxermom

boxermom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    What are your favorite recipes and how do you like to preserve them? I've just sliced them and dipped them in egg and crackercumbs then fried them in butter. Yum! [​IMG] Now, I'd like to be a little adventurous.

2. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
  3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    We just stomp on them around here. [​IMG]

4. boxermom

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    Kim_NC That's where I found my recipe for the baked chicken and puffball mushrooms. Family liked it, I did not. The mushrooms were very soggy. I fried up the rest of it though. Yummy!

greenfamilyfarms, stomping is fun when they're old, but try them when they are snow white. Peeled, sliced, dipped in egg and dredged in cracker crumbs then fried in butter. YUMMY! [​IMG]

5. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

We have dipped and dredged in a mixture of breadcrumbs and parmesan--MMM! Lots of times I just cube them and fry them up and add them to soups and stews at the last minute so they dont get soggy. There was a TON the other year so I cubed them (kinda like cutting angel food cake!) fried them in butter and froze them. Yummy in the winter! Terri O

6. boxermom

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    How big are your cubes? I wonder if that's why mine got so soggy, if I cubed them too small?

7. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I don't eat wild mushrooms anymore. A few years back we had a mushroom guide book. We identified lots of mushrooms, but were too cautious to eat any.....until one day when I was making spaghetti. I knew where some mushrooms were growing that the book said were "choice" by chefs. I cross referenced them, & no other mushroom looked like them, so they went in the spaghetti sauce. About 45 minutes later, the ambulance was on the way. After the ambulance & hospital bill, that was a $3,000+ spaghetti supper. Never again!!!

8. boxermom

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    I'm not brave enough to try anything I don't know for sure. I know morells and puffballs. That's it.

9. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Birdaholic--what kind were the mushrooms supposed to be? I tossed some that I was positive (well 99%) were smooth parasols...that 1% got to me though--not sure enough! I really want to know the variety that made you sick though...my Dad really worries me 'cause he picks ones that I know there are deadly look alikes!

My mushroom cubes were about 2"x2" before I fried them. They shrunk up to pretty small when done. I dont think you could have had them too small though....hmmm--wonder what happened? Terri O

10. boxermom

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    I don't know. They tasted good, but it was a texture thing with me. [​IMG] I think I'll try the parmesan next year. That sounds really good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by