It's Pumpkin time

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LynneP, Sep 27, 2009.

1. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

One medium sized pumpkin will entertain 12 hens for 6 days. Well worth having a garden:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and they're far quieter when they have one, might be good if you have a noisy hen or two...[​IMG]

2. JewellFarm

JewellFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Lebanon, Virginia
    Good idea!

3. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I had all sorts of problems with my pumpkin crop this year [​IMG] I may only get a few and they will be either the mini variety or just underdeveloped if the make it at all. I have been searching for orgaincally grown ones to no avail. I am so jealous and so are my chooks lol Great idea too I never thought of putting it in whole like that....

4. BBK

BBK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    upstate NY
    We just put one in this morning too. it was starting to get soft, it came from our garden too. They seem to love it and our 10 pullets were very interested...
    We are also giving them bean plants. The plants are getting old and there still some beans on them. I pull a couple each day and they love them as well. It's a great way for me to clean my garden up too.... [​IMG]
    and some of the sweet 100's tomatoes that get away and roll around the garden floor, they love these too.

Melinda

5. bryan8

bryan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    New york
    Carefull mine polished off 4 good sized pumnkins in 2 days and it was orange slimey poo all over

6. BBK

BBK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    upstate NY
    Carefull mine polished off 4 good sized pumnkins in 2 days and it was orange slimey poo all over

eeewwwww [​IMG]

melinda​

7. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    You know, I have always cut my pumpkins in half and put them in the run for the girls. I never thought about cutting it the way you did! Great idea! It would definitely make the snack and entertainment last longer! [​IMG]

9. dacdeihl

dacdeihl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    NorthEast, In
    Quote:In info that I have dried or uncooked beans in a big never feed. It has a toxicity in it called hemaglutin which is toxic to birds. FYI That is the only thing that stays out of the run. The rest of it if fair game for the birds.

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    This months Backyard Poultry magazine says pumpkins are great dewormers too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by