Its raining! Now what?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Panthus, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Panthus

Panthus Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2011
    Potential silly question here. Its raining quite steady outside and started about 2 minutes after i let the girls out to free range. They are hunkered under a shrub but my question is, should i have let them out when its raining? There are plenty of spots to protect them from the rain ie coop, eves of the house, trees and shrubs but the silly things will get wet if they have to move between them. HAHA okay, even i think this is sounding a little precious but i want to make sure im not going to cause myself any issues.

2. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    They'll be fine. So long as it isn't lightning.

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Yes, just let them do what they want to do. Some of mine range out in the rain like it's a sunny afternoon, and others just don't like it. Either way, no one suffers.

4. yellowirenut

yellowirenut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    mine wonder around like its not even happening. As soon as there is thunder they quickly head for the coop.

5. Panthus

Sep 24, 2011
    Too easy! Thanks very much. I had this mental image of me out there with a hair dryer drying their feathers so they didn't catch a chill. [​IMG]

They have decided the coop is the place to be and seem to be happy enough pecking about inside whilst it rains.

Keeping chickens just gets easier and easier [​IMG]

6. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] and yes let them do what they do. They know when to go up.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Rain is good, the hose is evil. [​IMG] Rain won't hurt them any, they'll find shelter if it's bad enough. I've seen mine soaked, and they still did fine. (in winter too)

8. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Send your rain to Texas!! Then your chickens can play outside in the sunshine and we get the rain!!

9. Panthus

Sep 24, 2011
    I'm afraid i'm going to horde my rain. I'm a lazy gardener so if mother nature wants to do my watering by all means i'm going to let her. We don't get too much round here as it is. Sorry Texas! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by