Its raining so HARD my babys are they alright help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Fancy Feather Poultry, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Fancy Feather Poultry

Fancy Feather Poultry Cooped Up

May 30, 2007
    It is rainging so hard Were having Isolated thunderstorms there little house has pressure treated wood as the roof and has tiny dime slits on the top with they be ok please help im so scared its thundering so hard!.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    I dont know what you mean by "tiny dime slits"
    Do you mean, it's the kind of pressure treated wood that has little slits in it from pressure treating or that there is a slit at the top of your roof where rain can get in?

If there is a hole in the roof, maybe get out some duc tape as a temp solution, or anything else you can cover the hole with.
    When it stops raining use some calk or a combo of calk and wood to cover it.
    I have no idea if I answerd the question your asking.

As for the lightning, If one of your chickens is directly struck by lightning it will probably die, however....

If your coop is constructed like allot of peoples, with alot of hardware cloth, and it was struck by lightining, it would probably act alot like a tesla cage and the electricity would flow around the outside of it and into the ground.
    The same thing that happens when lighting hits a car... no its not the rubber tires that make you safe in a car.

Im not a lighting expert, I do know that your probably in more dange if your on the phone durring lighting storms, and unless your chickens take alot of calls, they will probably be ok. [​IMG]

3. Fancy Feather Poultry

May 30, 2007
    When I say dime slots I mean The boards on the top are spaced at think as a dime, I dont not think it will stop rainging anytime soon.

4. barg

Apr 27, 2007
    Tarp.
    Plastic tablecloth.
    Plastic Drop cloth.
    A few ideas that you could use to cover it temporarily.
    Can't think of anything else but maybe you have something around the house you could use.
    I looked to see of I could find pics of your coop but didnt find any, did I miss them?

5. barg

Apr 27, 2007
    Well, hmm.
    Same applies, ide cover it with something to keep it from leaking.

I can't tell from the pics, how big is the coop?

6. barg

Apr 27, 2007
    Ok I just examined your pic and double checked for size reference and my guess is that it is aprox 20- 22 inches by about 28 inches.

How many chickens do you have in there?

7. barg

Apr 27, 2007
    If my mesurements are right, and I think they are pretty close, and if the information i'm getting from your signiture is correct, I think your going to need a little bit bigger coop then you have there.

I imagine that your chickens are starting to have a hard time getting through the door at this point.

Correct me if im not seeing this all correctly.

8. barg

Apr 27, 2007
    Ok hehe , I went through your posts, looks like you plan to build a bigger coop already, Good [​IMG]
    Given the size of the coop your useing now, I might suggest putting it in the garage if you have one. I'm not sure how your actually set up right now so I don't know if that would work but, getting them dry is a good idea however you do it.

GL [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2007
  9. Fancy Feather Poultry

May 30, 2007
    Ok, we just built a 12X12 run and are going to make a big coop like 10X9 or smaller.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by