It's rat carnage out there!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by CityGirlintheCountry, May 9, 2011.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    So I finally got fed up with the ever increasing rat population out at my coops and put out poison (yes, yes, I know. It was my last option. My non-poison traps didn't work and the darn freeloading cat had instituted a catch and release program. Sigh.). So I fixed an area that the chickens could not access and put out a bucket of rat poison bait. The eleventy billion rats overrunning the joint emptied it in three days. They pretty much licked it clean. That was last week. All the poison gone and no dead rats. I had high hopes that they had taken the poison into their tunnels where they would all die in a bait orgy and thus be safely underground when they died. It was that or I had some freaky poison resistant rats. Just my luck.

Well, today was the day. Today the poison kicked in. It is rat apocalypse out there. There were two dead in the runs and one dead by the feed bins this morning. When I got back home this afternoon there were a number of dead rats lying about. I figured them dying above ground was payback for the poison and resigned myself to shoveling up dead rats and disposing of them. I grabbed my shovel and began scooping up dead rats. It was going great until I tried to shovel up one in the corner that apparently wasn't dead yet. I stuck that shovel at it and it took off running. At me. Directly at me. RUNNING STRAIGHT AT ME WITH ITS LITTLE BEADY RAT EYES GLARING AT ME!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] <<<< that smiley would work if it were screeching in terror instead of smiling. ACCCKKKK!!!! *(&%$!%&^*(!))!~~!!!!! Imagine me dancing about, hopping madly as I tried to get the shovel in front of me as a defensive measure all the while screeching and screaming "Oooo, oooo, oooo, ick, ick, ick, get it, get it, get it (that last spoken to the chickens as they chased the fleeing rat)". It was not pretty. I think the little sucker actually ran across my shoe on its way to safety. I may have to burn those shoes.

So the rats are getting their revenge for the poison. I'm sure I will be shoveling dead and mostly dead rats all week. Of course, now I don't trust the mostly dead ones and will live in fear for my life. Ugg.

2. old geezer

old geezer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    cambridge , ny
    [​IMG]--neat little story---i coudln't help but laughing reading it cause all i could think of was Templeton the rat from charollet's web..[​IMG].

3. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
  4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG]

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Sorry, but.... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I can just see it!!!

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  6. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Oh, no! The Mods moved me to the predator and pest section! Now the rats will be on to me. Darn it.

(Everyone knows that rats don't read Random Ramblings...)

7. Ukmumbrood3

Ukmumbrood3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    White plains, Md
    Bwahahaha! I'm soooooooo sorry but the lil smiley running back and forth is hysterical! I can only imagine how you must have felt! Hehehehe

8. KlaHaYa Gardens

KlaHaYa Gardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    When you mention the rat running at you, all I can think about are the American-Korean babies post war that were abandoned and left for the rats to kill and pick their bones clean. [​IMG]

Shove more poison down those holes!!

I hate rats!!

(Make sure your food is in METAL cans and that you don't over feed those birds.) [​IMG]

*celebrates dead rats* [​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  9. N2Shown

N2Shown Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Northern California
    That is the best story I have heard all day, Thanks!!![​IMG]

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:You're a goof.. [​IMG]