1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

It's really, really, really hard to clean a teeny tiny chick butt!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by skatcatla, Jul 25, 2007.

1. skatcatla

skatcatla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    So, how often should I be checking their little bums? Is twice a day enough do you think? I checked them yesterday evening when I came home and again this morning. A couple of them had a fair amount of stickiness on the feathers underneath the vent, but the vents themselves were open and clean. I did my best to clean them up a bit, but I wasn't sure how concerned I should be about the feathers (down?) itself.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Twice a day is fine. When I get chicks I usually check a few times a day for the first two days or so and then once a day there after. Once they get past like a week, and as long as they don't get chilled, chances are they won't develop poopy butt. It is often caused by stress so if they are happy, they should be fine.

3. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    When I first got my baby chicks they said to check/clean them two to three times a day. As for the down... I ended up taking some off when cleaning on accident and it didn't cause any problems. I did have one that was really stressed out and so I called the chicken hatchery where I got them from... they sent out to buy "sulfa". I went to TSC and it cost me about 3.00 for a little packet. It cleared it up in a couple of days. No problems... 15 weeks later still thriving!!!

Good Luck
    Tes

4. skatcatla

skatcatla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    Thanks! So, how did you know your chick was stressed out? Was it just because of her runny poop? Or was she really peeping?

So far all four little chicks seem to be pretty happy and calm. They only peep softly and occasionally, and they seem to be having fun exploring their crate. I put a couple of bricks in there for them to climb up on, and they seem to love those.

5. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Yes, it was because of the runny poop. Not to mention when they got here... it was HOT. Funny... the day they came in... it was in April... and 90 degrees or there abouts... here I sit at the end of July... and today only reached 75 LMAO!!!!! Anyways, yes, the runny poop, and the caking of the poop on their little butts. The sulfa helps them with regulating... almost like taking imodiam with us. When you see the package... dont be surprised that it says for pigs too LOL... I had to call the hatchery back to make sure I had the right stuff. LOL. Also you can give them some stuff called "Vitamins & Electrolytes" its by durvet. Personally I prefer the other. Sorry, but cant remember the name... (hubby gave it to the pigs... and tossed bag in garbage) made by the same company. The Vitamins one works beautifully in the summer with the hot humid weather... helps restore them as gator aid does for us. For both of these.... WARNING.... DO NOT OVER MEDICATE!!!!!!!!!! read the package... hope your good at math.... I think I put like a teaspoon and a half per a 2 liter bottle... IF YOU USE TO MUCH... you will have to dig some holes. Sorry... but just being honest and letting you know the consequences. I had a sick turkey and chick... So I did as I did with the first batch... and they told me to do the same as I did last time.... I apparently was not paying attention, measured wrong (because of using a 1 gal jug) and accidently over medicated. I'm sure you can figure out the rest. I felt so bad and cried for days!!! But like I said... my first 30 did perfect with it.
    Also about the peeping... oh goodness... when they are stressed out they sleep ALOT, and I mean more then they do as little little ones, and don't peep as much. If they were not peeping... I got worried LOL... I should have put "Mother Hen" as my screen name LOL. I would even watch them sleep and touch them occasionally to make sure they were ok LOL... I'm sure I am not the only one who did/does this LOL. Kinda like a newborn baby LOL.
    Anyways, I do hope this helps... good luck
    Tes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by