It's so cold out! My poor chickies!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chick_a_dee, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    It's -16 out right now, and I feel so bad about them being out there, especially since it'll be getting down to -20 tonight! They've been really good with the weather, bunching up nice and cozy in there, but it has yet to get below -10 out, and it was really windy today.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Ok you win the prize. That is bone chilling cold. The chickens should be fine. What did they ever do before we people came along and built them coops and gave them heaters??

3. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    I know, and their 100W bulb that lights up at 5 am heats it up a little in there for the water, but I just feel pretty bad about it, especially since the wind is gusting at 30 KM/H right now, and is expected to get to 50 by midnight, so with the windchill it should be about -25 out. I didn't even let them out today it was so windy.

4. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

BBBRRRRRrrrrrrrr!!!!! I will take our Florida over that. But supposed to get down to 31 tonight.

5. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    Portage County, Ohio
    Yup, that is cold! I admit it! I have chuckled at some posts that talk about how cold it is when it's only around freezing, or even above it, but you are officially on the chilly side. *nod nod nod*

*hands Chick_a_dee a nice hot cuppa*

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr our lowest was -25 last year, it was HORRIBLE.

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

My chickens are nutty birds. The colder is gets the more they run around doing the chest bump thing and playing around. I took treats out today and the roo was standing in the water bowl. So much for brains. And another one of my pullets wants to fight my kitty slippers. [​IMG]

8. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:I remember last year around the end of December it was something like -35 out [​IMG]

9. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    with the winds here tonight.. it is -1 F...and feels every bit that!

My chickens are cold I bet.. but there is a light out there and they snuggle.

10. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:We have plastic curtains over the chicken door, lmfao and I open the door in the mornings, and like 4 or 5 chicken heads will pop out the curtain, look around, then pop back in until the light inside turns off and they just can't be bothered to stay inside anymore. I would have put them out today, but I thought they might blow away with the snow LOL so instead I kept them inside. The sun came out around lunch time, but the wind was still insane.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by