It's soooo HOT!!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Melissa2173, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Melissa2173

Melissa2173 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Springfield, Georgia
    Tomorrow will be my girls 3rd day in their coop full time. It was in the upper 90's today and they were struggling. The coop has good ventilation, a fan, and I have containers of ice out there for them. Tomorrow is supposed to be over 100 with a heat index of 115. I'm seriously thinking about bringing them into the house tomorrow. Is this just nutty or do others do this too? I have 8 7 week olds. I'm worried about them and would feel horrible if I lost any due to the heat.

2. Strange_Screams

Strange_Screams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    Its been 100 to 105 for the last two weeks here, They seem to be doing fine, and stoped panting once I started putting frozen water bottles in the coop for them. I dont think its nutty to want to bring them inside, You might look into those mister fan thingys at walmart.

3. tinydancer87

tinydancer87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    SE Georgia
    Melissa2173--hello neighbor! I'm in Rincon!

Yes, it has been WAY too hot. I was worried so we bought another box fan, and found a little misting hose at Lowe's. It's supposed to be for patio and deck use, but we zip tied it to the chicken run and are leaving it on day and night. The baby turkeys just sit under it. [​IMG]

Even at night it's like a sauna outside.

4. Melissa2173

Melissa2173 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Springfield, Georgia
    Quote:I know, at 10:30 it was still 87. I just looked online at some misters. Think I'll go get one tomorrow. It's nice to meet someone so close by!

5. DvanderSlik

DvanderSlik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    Each night I freeze a huge bowl of water (to really make it last alternate two large bowls, and let it freeze for two nights to get it really solid). Then tip it over into a large pan, I use a huge kitty litter box) and set it in their run, in the shade. Even if they don't stand in/on it, if they peck around it- it will cool them off.

I've also heard people who freeze watermelon slices.

6. Turkeyrangler

Turkeyrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    By Lake Superior
    It got to a high of 55 today, overcast and foggy for most of it....mine just got wet and chilled. Unseasonably cool here right now. I have been hoping for some warmer weather but we really don't want what you folks are going through. Hoping to send some of our cool weather your way.

7. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    been hot here to. My birds range from 2 weeks old up to several months. Many breeds including meaties. They dont seem to be that hot. They spend most of their day in the shade. or in the weeds. Ive yet to see them panting.

8. krissteff

krissteff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Tennessee
    It's been very hot here for a couple weeks. I've noticed my girls have started adjusting to the heat. I bring them bowls of ice water and sometimes I freeze a watermelon rind in the water bowl. they love that. I also put a fan right outside their run, and place it so when they stand on the wooden box where I put their ice water, they are getting a good dose of the fan. The first several days, they were miserable and I was a panicky mess. They were panting and lethargic. THis week they are moving around and playing in the run. They still are panting, but seem to be adjusting quite well.

Long story short: I think they will get used to it. Just give them some things to help them along. ie, ice water, fan, watermelon, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by