1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Its Spring!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by roocrazy, Mar 26, 2011.

1. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    its that time of season again!!! post stories, pictures of you BROODIES!!! and or their nests or clutch!!!!!

[​IMG]

2. roocrazy

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    no one? nobody has a broody? [​IMG]

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have 12 muscovy eggs sitting in their house but noone has up the stepped up to the plate yet. It's day 6 too.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  4. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Sorry, doesn't feel like spring here....our high was 34* today with freezing cold wind!

5. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:Here in Wisconsin we just got 16 inches of snow. Our daytime highs are in the 20's, night time lows in the single digits. Last year at this time we had no snow. Lakes free of ice and had already hit 78 degrees. What a difference a year makes![​IMG]

6. roocrazy

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    omg!!! thats crazy and im not to far from you either

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    oh, roocrazy, I have been thinking I should take pics of my broodies!

We have two absolutely determined runners, and a few half-hearted broodies.

Funf and Sechs share a nest. Sometimes one sits on top of the other. I give them wooden eggs to sit on. But, as runners, they don't actually sit non-stop. They take breaks to run with the rest of the flock, then they fuss and I let them back into the indoor pen and there they sit, cooing, content. They are about due to be done with the broodiness. They take mealtime breaks, runaround breaks, and so forth, so they're not wasting away by any means.

Maybe I'll get my act together and take a photo soon. Thanks for the reminder!

8. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
  9. hippiehen

hippiehen wastefully exuberant

Aug 27, 2008
    Utopia, Texas
    Well, we skipped spring here and went straight to summer - it's stinking hot here! 96 on sunday! [​IMG] I think it's cooling off today though.

I have a blue swedish duck who made a lovely little nest in the salt grass [​IMG] I candled her twenty-odd eggs last night and all is well! She's due the 13th-ish of April. I'm soooooo excited!!!! I can't wait to see what they look like - mutt ducks are the best! My drakes are blue swedes, rouen and buff and my hens are blue swedes, magpie, buff and mallard!

Here's Pennie:
    [​IMG]

And FYI: Salt grass which grows native here, is the ultimate duck habitat!! Mine absolutely love it! It's a type of muhly grass you can buy in most nurseries - pretty sure it's labeled as lindheimer muhly or texas muhly. My ducks run 300 yards from their pen every morning to lay their eggs in it and to look for bugs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by