1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

It's started.....here we go

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JEB NC 10, Jul 2, 2011.

1. JEB NC 10

JEB NC 10 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    First of 11 eggs just starting to pip. Went out to change the water in the coop and heard really light chirps....looked and the broody was getting up to get some fresh water so I took the opportunity to take a peek in the nest and saw it. Broody came back to the nest and seem fasinated by this egg....she just stares are it and when it chirps she gives a few low clucks....tomorrow is the official day 21....looks like it may be a long night for me now...but it'll be worth it....as I have a 4 year old daughter that's sure to have a very exciting morning!

***as soon as I figure out how to add photos, I'll post a few of the new additions. If anybody has any advise, it would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  2. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Congrats! It's so exciting to watch. [​IMG]

3. farmgirlforever18

farmgirlforever18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Dublin TEXAS
    It's exciting mine are peeping too [​IMG]

4. JEB NC 10

Mar 13, 2011
    No. 2 just started to pip....can now hear mulitple peeps....broody goes around gently nudging them with her beak....I think she's getting excited as well

5. the1honeycomb

the1honeycomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Yadkinville NC-3yrs
    Mine are hatching also and my broody is doing a great job!!!
    I only tried 2 my first hatch so
    Congrats!! post photos!!

6. Grand-hen-ma

Grand-hen-ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    My broodie wasn't successful with her first time but she's sitting on 3 eggs again. I hope this time we will have some babies! I'm so excited to see them hatch! It's an exciting time for you so I hope you post pics of them.

Good luck

7. JEB NC 10

Mar 13, 2011
    I plan on checking on momma hen a couple times throughout the night....if all goes well, I should have some pics to post come morning!

8. JEB NC 10

Mar 13, 2011
    Justed checked in on the girls out in the coop....it's 2:15 AM and we have one chick all fluffed up already....and from what I can tell about half are pipping now. So far so good...guess I'll try to get a few hours sleep

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by