It's starting to rain...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pkforever, Sep 18, 2010.

1. pkforever

pkforever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Oregon
    So it's starting to rain quite a bit here. and I was wondering if I should cover my run with a trap to help keep it from getting all muddy. Any suggestions?

2. FiveHens

FiveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Yes...we have a completely uncovered run (they can get under the coop) and we fold up a tarp and cover part of the run, stapling it against the wind.
    It works well, the chickens enjoy it. We've always though about getting some corrugated roofing, though, to hook on top for a more permanent, but removable, solution. [​IMG]

3. pkforever

Mar 8, 2010
    Oregon
    Okay I was thinking that it would probably be a good idea since it's starting to get rather muddy in the run. Mine can also get under the coop where it is dry, but I think they would enjoy more space that was dry. I'll have to work on that today hopefully

4. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    The corrugated stuff works great. I hear ya about the rain. I had hoped for an extended summer or warm fall, but I don't think that's going to happen.
    Our original coop has a fully covered run---panels of clear and opaque fiberglass, and that is what we will do with the new run, too. It gives shade in the summer, and protects the run area from snow and rain in the winter.

5. pkforever

Mar 8, 2010
    Oregon
    We ended up putting the coop where it very rarely gets full sun which is nice. It stays pretty cool over in that area. But it just soaks up the rain and gets super muddy. I feel bad for them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by