1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Its Still So Exciting!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wbruder17, Sep 20, 2011.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I've hatched lots of eggs, and raised lots of little biddies, but I still get so happy and excited to get that fiirst little peep! I've got 2 eggs, Mille Fleur D'Uccle (roo) and eiither Dutch Bantam or OEGB hens hatching right now! I can't wait to see these babies and what they will look like! Today is actually only day 19, but my Big Mama, Henwyn hhas been settiing the eggs and she is huge and never gets off the nest. So those eggs were pretty toasty warm! There are 7 others from various 33 hens, but as Feisty, the roo is just a liittle guy, I don't know if he was actually covering his ladies.

I know why its so addicting.... it gives me something to do, something to look forward to, and has an unbelievable payoff in just 3 weeks! What a great habit!

I had an absolutely awful day today, but coming home to a little pipped egg made it all better.....well, sort of.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  2. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    It's still exciting to me, too. Almost like being a little kid on Christmas morning all over again [​IMG]

3. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    i can't stop going and checking the egg! I need to stop, but I just can't wait to see the new littluns! Its especially excitiing because the eggs are from MY chickens this time! And the mixes are sure to be cute as buttons, with theiir little fluffy faces and....ii wonder if they will get the D'Uccle feathered feet? Oh boy! Oh boy![​IMG][​IMG]:weee:caf

4. Swissmiss989

Swissmiss989 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    That's awesome! I have a tiny frizzel sitting on one lonely egg and it should hatch anyday now! Its just one but its my first baby that will be hatched ever! I can't wait to see it shes worked so hard for it! I have even spoiled mama with watermelon too during this waiting game!

5. 1hotmoma

1hotmoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Today is day 21 for me with one of my hens. I am so stinking excited to see what little ones I get in the next day or two. [​IMG]

6. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    My broody hens are so spoiled rotten I think they go broody on purpose just to get to the hatching hut, aka, the getaway cabin. I bring them scrambled eggs, mozzerella cheese, canned sweet corn and grapes off the vine. I pick them off the nest once every 2 days to go poo and dust around, stretch their legs for an hour or so, then back on the nest. My hens don't like to get up when they are broody, so I have to do it for them....or clean up nasty broody poo from all over the place.

I think they tell each other how awesome it is, too, because I have broody hens to beat the band! They won't stop trying to set, and ii seem to get a new broody every few days! I can't be hatching that many chickens! Good thing I started breeding quail. They can hatch out as many of them as they want!

7. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

That's one reason I do staggered hatches: for the pure excitement of having eggs in the hatcher most of the time! It doesn't hurt that Mom needs laying hens and she can take the hens I don't want to breed from. I shipped a batch of 9 POL pullets up to her a couple weeks ago, and mine of the same age are starting to lay. Anyway, it is a terrific feeling to watch those little guys fight their way out of the shells and stagger to their feet. It never gets old!

8. Swissmiss989

Swissmiss989 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Quote:Yesterday I noticed my EEs going broody! I think your right they do share the news about getting spoiled!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by