Its still winter in MN, how cold can ducklings handle?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Triplell, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Triplell

Triplell Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2011
    Brainerd, MN
    Its still winter, just how cold can ducklings handle? I have a large barn that I have turned into my chicken coop and duck coop for the winter. We live in north central Minnesota and it is still cold at night and warmer during the day. I have 3 ducklings that I need to move into the barn. I plan on moving them into a portion of the chicken coop that I can separate them. It stay's in the 30's to 40's during the day and as low as the teen's at night. If I give them 2 heat lamps of their own would they do okay? They were hatched on the last weekend of January with another batch due in one week of around 9 and desperately need the space in my brooder that is in my basement. Please help with some information. I got talked into this venture before spring and now I have to seal with it.

2. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm in the south and have never had any issues with birds. I have had them outside with temps in the low 20's I know and they were fine. If you have a shelter and light they should be fine with temps in the teens. I do have large breed ducks though.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I would go ahead and set up you lamps and put a thermomator in there to check warmth, then add the ducklings and continue to check to make sure they are staying warm or too warm. Since it's only 3 they will cuddle for warmth but will deff. need the heat lamps. just give them the option of getting out from under it if they need to.
    You also don't want their water to freeze since you'll still be feeding them 24/7.

4. Triplell

Triplell Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2011
    Brainerd, MN
    Thank you both for responding. The 3 ducks are pekin crosses. I have 3 adluts as well, 2 drakes and 1 hen. Would it be safe to put the ducklings in with the mother or just one of the drakes? How long do I have to feed 24/7? I was under the understanding that you only feed them like that for 3 weeks then only during the day. If I have to have them seperated then when can I put them in with the adults? Could I put the next batch in with these 3 when they are 4 or 5 weeks old too? I still need help!!! Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by