It's strangely quiet...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tala, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

It's awful quiet in here, because I moved the chicks outside! They're just over 3 weeks old.

I never understood everyone's complaints about chick dander/dust
    apparently because I moved my last ones out at 2 weeks it was before the dust really got started.

These guys couldn't move out last week because of constant rain and the amount of dust produced in just that ONE week was more than my last chicks produced in their whole 2.5 weeks indoors.

Anyways, it's mid 80's under their lamp and they are secured for the night. Hope they sleep well! They definitely were starting to need the space.

2. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    yes I felt that too. It was like a child had left for a few days. Good and at the same time bad, bitter-sweet. You are right, in the later apart of the 2 or 3rd week they do start to produce loads........................... of chicken dust. I miss the little dusters though. When they are close to you picking up a fuzz ball is so much fun to snuggle. Gloria Jean

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Here they are tonight. They are in the run part of my chicken tractor, which is 8ft long x 3ft wide - very secure welded wire and 2x4 frame with chicken wire to keep the youngin's in. We haven't had any raccoon activity and I've been setting the trap every so often without catching anything, so I'm not overly worried about them being out there.
    [​IMG]
    They were dustbathing in the grass this afternoon, but I was busy working on the big coop, so I didn't get any good daylight pix.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Something about moving them to the coop, they really blossom. They'll be big chickens before you know it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by