It's supposed to be 83 degrees here today! Can I bring the chicks out?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by monarchcmj, May 20, 2010.

1. monarchcmj

monarchcmj Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2009
    NH
    Some of my chicks are a week old today some will be a week old tomorrow. I have them inside in a brooder with a heat lamp and they're doing great!
    It is supposed to get up to 83 degrees here today and I was thinking I might bring the chicks outside for the first time [​IMG] I know they're supposed to have a brooder temp of 90 degrees at this point, so I'm, not sure if 83 degrees outside would be warm enough?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If it's sunny, I would take them out for a bit after the day warms up. They will most definitely let you know if it's too cold for them, but I'm betting they'll love getting out for a bit.

3. NapoleanGoose

NapoleanGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Bishop CA
    I always bring my chicks out in the grass if it's warm from one week onwards. But keep an eye on them and only for a while. No longer then 20 min probably and only if there is no chilly wind. It's good for them to scratch and explore. At about 3 weeks, on a hot day, I'll leave my chicks in a little pen outside for the hottest part of the afternoon and they love it. If it's too hot you can put them in partial or full shade. They can be left out for much, much longer by then. I let mine run about with food and water in their outdoor pen for about 2 hours before slipping them back beneath the light.

4. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Once you get those little chicken feet outside, you'll have almost as much fun as them![​IMG] Try limiting that first trip outside to less than an hour.Make sure you give them a box laid on it's side if they want a nap or some shelter. They're tiny, & might get tired.

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  5. cambriagardener

cambriagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Take them out for a short time. In natural conditions, the mother hen would let them run around, then spread her wings for them to cuddle under if they get cold. We have quail that inhabit our yard and they do the same thing. Let them run, then warm them up! Have fun! [​IMG]

6. monarchcmj

monarchcmj Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2009
    NH
    Thanks for all the replies, everyone! It's getting warmer by the minute and there's only a very slight breeze, so it looks like I'll be taking them outside later this afternoon! [​IMG] Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by