its that time of year again

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mamagardener, Sep 29, 2011.

1. mamagardener

mamagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

I love the fall, the colors, the crisp nights, the apple picking, kids back in school, mosquitoes eventually go away....

I don't like, the end of gardening for the year, and ALMOST NO EGGS!!! My 12 chickens are down to about 3 eggs a day. I am going to have to buy some in the store....horrors!

2. dadsdeercamp

dadsdeercamp Say goodnight gracie

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    buy more chickens.

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I have some that are molting so eggs are down and I have just wormed so no eggs for at least another week. I still have some eggs in the fridge before worming so hope they hold out til I can start using them again. I hate to buy store eggs and havent done it for a year and a half.

4. mamagardener

I would love to get more chickens, but that would mean a bigger coop and run. Right now that is not in the cards, too many projects to take care of first. With my luck I would have 40 chickens and 7 eggs a day. Every year I just make it through and when spring comes production comes back and I am happy again. Then I have too many eggs, and give some away!

Just like in the garden, I will have so much produce and don't know what to do with it all. Then come November I am crying for good fresh produce. I should move somewhere where I can garden all year round.

5. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    Quote:So you emigrating to Australia then [​IMG]

6. mamagardener

Quote:So you emigrating to Australia then [​IMG]

I would love to at least visit once in my life. The extremely long flight though I can do without.[​IMG]

7. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    Quote:I would love to at least visit once in my life. The extremely long flight though I can do without.[​IMG]

haha yeah it sucks. I remember it took me 27hrs of flying and waiting to get to New york city once.

Most of my flights are long distance though, I have family in England, been there four times, and my fiance's sister is in connecticut so I've been to america once to visit them, going back over to california in january for a month for a conservation project [​IMG]

IF you EVER do come over, all I have to say is get a watch with an alarm so you don't have to rely on your tired self to remember things, and back-packer bags are SOO much more comfortable to sleep on during long stopovers than case bags....just sayin lol

8. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I do love this time of year in Ohio.....Beautiful fall colors on the trees, and you can have the windows open and "crisp nights" as you mentioned......Great sleeping weather! No more mosquitos......Festivals......Apple cider......This is truly my favorite time of year.

I've already got lights (regular, not heat lamps) in the chicken coop......I've got five hens, but I'm only getting three eggs a day. I have a bantam coop with four pullets that are to young to lay yet.....

My garden is just about spent. I just picked a bunch of green beans a few days ago, and the vines are finally starting to die.......I've gotta rake up the leaves and stick them in the garden so my husband can till them into the dirt.......Gotta cut down the dead corn stalks.......That part is work and no fun......

But I do love the fall......

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Yeah, I have 70 chickens and ducks and get about 8 eggs a day now.

10. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Quote:x2

I have oh, about 40 chickens. We got 6 eggs yesterday! [​IMG] I won't introduce extra light until they are done molting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by