It's the first and last time I order from Randall-Burkey...

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Cara, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Aghhhh they're terrible!! I ordered a couple of dozen birds from them two weeks ago, and I asked that they not ship the chicks before mid-June as we would be away. They told me that they do not charge for chicks until they ship, so I freaked out when I found that we had been charged immediately. I e-mailed them asking when the chicks would be shipping, and why I had already been charged, and got a one line reply back (with no hi or bye!) saying "call us in 10 days or so and we'll tell you when they're shipping." This did not get us off on the right foot, with me being the customer and it being their responsibility to let customers know when they are mailing them live birds! It's not as if everyone is constantly available and prepared to accept new chicks which could be arriving in a few days, weeks, or months.

I called today to check when they are shipping, and to begin with got a customer service rep. without a basic command of English. She told me someone would call back in 10 minutes, so 3 hours later I called them again. They told me my order is shipping on Tuesday, and this was the first I heard of it! I asked him if everything I ordered was coming (again their job to let me know), and the guy said "actually, no." The 6 guineas and 5 Silkies I ordered aren't coming, but I can't cancel because it is too close to the shipping date! One of the hatcheries they drop-ship from has them in stock, so I guess they're just too lazy to schedule them all. Nothing that I ordered is difficult to schedule (mostly roosters), and i'd far rather have my order in a couple of months with everything I wanted than next week and lacking half my birds. Never again!

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Yeah, I was interested in ordering from them, too...because they do ship smaller numbers of chicks & they have every breed I can think of (and THEN SOME)...

However, I went through the entire check-out process (for hatching eggs) and it wanted me to enter my CC info BEFORE I knew what I was getting charged!? So I called them up & received basically the same treatment you're describing. I also shot them an email (right before I called) and it took them THREE WEEKS to reply, they didn't answer ANY of my questions--just said SORRY SOLD OUT FOR THIS YEAR.

Needless to say, I took my business to IDEAL and probably will stay that way. I've had nothing but good experiences with them (thus far).

3. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Yep I always used Ideal before and was very happy with them. I wanted to get all my chicks/ducklings/keets from one place, so I thought i'd give RB a try. You live and learn! I e-mailed them before I ordered and never got a reply; I should have learnt from that. I'm scared to think what i'll receive next week...especially when he called some of them Speckled Soosexes.

4. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

LOL Speckled Soosexes? Hmmm...that's a new one to me... maybe it's a new & exciting breed?? [​IMG]

5. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    [​IMG] Well my order arrived; it's too bad I didn't ask them to send me a random assortment of poultry. I don't see what the point is in sending them a specific order if they just send me what they have to hand.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Now everytime I see my speckled sussex I'll think of this!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by