It's the last hatch of the year...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Razadia, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    And my game hens have decided not to lay for the past few days. It's driving me crazy. Dad doesn't want me to hatch any more RIR or RIR crosses this year. He says it has to be game birds. So now I'm going crazy waiting for a few eggs from the hens. I've gone all summer without hatching and I was looking forward to getting to do one more for the year. I highly doubt the girls will be up for a Halloween hatch and I really don't have the patience to wait that long and lay mash has gotten too expensive. I guess I forgot how irritating it can be to wait on the chickens. [​IMG]

In the mean time, how has everyone's latest hatches gone, what are you hatching now, what do you plan on hatching next? I need to keep busy till the girls decide to cooperate.

I'm attempting to hatch more game chickens. Our past hatches with them haven't gone so great, but I think I've just about found a middle ground with hatching them.

My current project is going slow since my white game hen is still way too young to lay, but I've found her a rooster that (thankfully) isn't related to her that has a white gene in him. I'm hoping to get more white hens out of the deal.

2. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    So, no one's going to keep me company while I wait?

3. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Waiting can sure be hard. I am about to do a big hatch of 30 dozen eggs for my last hatch (although I may be a small hatch for the halloween hatch too). They will be RIR and BR, as well as a few silkie mixes and some ducks.

4. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    It's looking like the RIRs are my only choice and dad decided to humor me.

5. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Well that's nice that you don't have to wait anymore. I'm sure he will love to see the little RIR baby's once they hatch.

6. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    He's seen it before and he can't argue and say he doesn't like the chicks. I think one of my game hens plans on laying today. I hope sshe does since they were they original plan and I can still throw a few in.

7. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I ended up doing a mixed batch of RIR, BA/RIR cross, game, and a very special shipment from Mrheinz77 of 7 Underwood line RIRs. Day 14 is Thursday and so far I've only tossed 1 of mine and 2 shipped (they were scrambled, but I kinda saw it coming since none of them were broken when they got here.) The One of mine had a blood ring and the 2 shipped were clear due to being scrambled. This is my first time with shipped eggs, so I'm really excited that they're doing so well.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by