It's the Pigs big day :(

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by LoneCowboy, Sep 4, 2008.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Hey, I thought pigs got really ugly and gross before it was time to butcher them? Somebody lied. The butcher is here to do the deed, but I'm just feel horrible because I can picture those silly girls running up to see what goodies they have only to get popped in the head [​IMG]

Can you tell I was raised a city girl?

2. kwynn's birds Alaska

kwynn's birds Alaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Kenai, Alaska
    Quote:That's gotta be the hardest part...loving your animals, so they can be butchered. But, they will feed your family, am I right? [​IMG] I'm going to have to face it sooner or later too, since most of my animals are meat and egg producers.

3. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    lets bbq

4. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    [​IMG] Sorry!! I would love to raise some pigs, but because of some previous time spent with a wonderful potbellied pig, I just cant do it myself. We have a hog being raised for us right now at a family run hog farm. It eats acorns and will be processed in October. I have never met it, but I know it is having a grand old life (albeit a short one) out on pasture under the oak trees. Anyway, just wanted to say good for you raising your own pork and giving your pigs a good life. Its more than they get in a factory "farm".

5. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    I wouldn't be to excited since I don't like pork. But my family on the other hand would be starting up the grill.....just think how good that meat will taste! [​IMG]

6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I know it will be good, they were spoiled. I just tend to give animal human feelings, but still to watch your pal get killed and gutted couldn't have been good for the other pig. I wish they didn't have to watch that. The dog keeps looking for the puppies. He thought they were puppies and couldn't understand why they couldn't come out to play. He'd get really cranky when they got all the good treats and he didn't. We tried to explain to him that he wasn't going to get eaten and they were. He just wasn't able to reason. It's that human thing again. [​IMG]

7. texasgirl

texasgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    South Texas
    I always feel bad right up until they get popped, then it's like "well, that's done, lets get to work" and I am over it.
    It's easier if they aren't very friendly and we keep a few "pet pigs" around that will always be here, so that makes it a little easier too.

8. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Awww [​IMG] I have a pig, but it's at someone else's house. I really like pigs, and don't think I could have them around me and then butcher them.

9. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    We have 3 pigs we are raising right now. We have about another 2 months before they are ready. I love my pigs. I am really dreading the B-day. But, they sure will taste good!!

We are already planning on our next pigs. After having these three around, I can't imagine not having pigs again!!

10. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I'll save u, Wilbur.....LOL! I know, it sucks....That's how I felt about our meat chickens, and how I feel about our roosters. But you gotta do what'll feed your family, and at least you know those pigs were raised right instead of being butchered alive in a commercial production....Good job and good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by