It's time to go to the blood suckers again

JennsPeeps

Rhymes with 'henn'
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
South Puget Sound
No, not the accountants, nor the IRS. And though I'm in WA State, I'm not headed to Forks, either.

I'm headed off to give blood in about 20 minutes! I dislike this task immensely - it's uncomfortable and boring to lie there for 30 minutes - but it will make a difference in a few peoples' lives. It makes a difference for people who don't yet know that they need a difference to be made.

And that's way more important than my temporary discomfort. Please, go make an appointment to give a pint today.

Whenever they do blood Drives in our town (we are small and dont have a local donation place) they only have times before or after work, it just doesnt work cause we have an hour drive home already without getting later. I always feel bad cause I really want to...thank you for doing it!

Our blood drives here are like a community event. It is where you go and they have food sometimes and you sit around and chat with your friends and people you have not seen for a while and then they sit the blood tables(for lack of better words) in a four plex so 4 of you can chit chat away while giving lifesaving donations. It is like you are BAD BAD BAD if you don't show up to our events. (I kind of like it that way too)
wink.png

I was turned away last time because I had my hepatitis B shot the day before. URGH good planning on my part i suppose. I am a first responder and they requested we all get it and set it up for the day before the blood drive! FIGURES. OH WELL!! They hate me coming in because I have small wiggly veins they are a challenge to hit. Even when I load up on water to help pump them up!

I had the most traumatic blood experience 2 weeks ago. I was sick as heck so the doctor wanted to do blood tests. Now I do subcutaneous, IM & IV to dogs, horses, cows, birds etc almost everyday but don't stick a needle into me-I'm petrified!
So I go to the doc's shaking like a leaf & they begin...
I have the most awful veins-tiny, flat & almost impossible to get a needle into. When the old nurse sees how nervous I am, she makes me lay down instead of sitting. She tries & misses the vein. At this stage I start to hyperventilate. She calls the doctor & he has a go. He collapses his vein & my arm is filled with blood.
th.gif
I'm trying not to lose it & succeed after a fashion. He tries again & after 1 hour they get the blood from me. By then I was having involuntary full body spasms. It took til yesterday for all the bruising & swelling in my arm to disappear & I couldn't give injections to the cows until I assisted out vet all day yesterday to get me over it.
rant.gif

I am now considering doing it myself from now on.

All I can say is good on you people who can actually do it voluntarily! You save lives
thumbsup.gif

clap.gif

I keep trying and they keep saying no. I lived in Europe at the wrong time. I told them that I may be a mad cow, but I'm pretty sure I don't have mad cow.

Quote:
I was in living France when the whole mad cow thing blew up & was exposed. I always get questioned about it but haven't been turned away - I think they lightened the requirements.

It wasn't as bad this time as in past times. I pumped a pint in about 15-20 minutes, WAY better than the prevoius time (40 mins).

Best part is the instruction they give you: "Eat a hearty meal tonight". Ummm. OK!!
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom