It's time . . .

Arielle

Crowing
8 Years
Feb 19, 2011
Massachusetts, USA
to process the BBW.

My question is: do BBW need to be chilled in a refrigerator for 3-4 days before freezing until the Holidays? Or is this method of ensuring tenderness limited to heritage turkeys which would be 8 mo old?

Quote:
How long is "to get the rigor out"? You would think I might know this after a few episodes of NCIS!!!

I do my chickens for 3 days and rabbits for 1.

I would think Turkeys would be similar to chickens.
idunno.gif

Quote:
If it was two days, that was at least some aging... meat is just tougher if you don't age it a bit, it won't hurt you. As long as you enjoyed them, that's the important part. Deer hunters hang the meat for a few days too (usually).

I read an old article on killing chickens in The Small Farm Journal some years ago.. They said they broke the neck and pulled down a bit for the blood to have a pocket to collect in. Then they hung it by the feet in a cool place until the feathers pulled out easily, THEN they removed the feathers and innards.
sickbyc.gif
Don't think I'll try that method!

I assume the game is hanging in a regridgerator during "aging" ? SOmewhere in the far distant past I read about aging which was for months. COmplete with green mold. A delicacy. Not willing to wait that long!
wink.png

I talked to the processor and their opinion was to freeze by end of day. That's less than 12 hours of aging.

Back
Top Bottom