It's too cold for this nonsense.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheOLDNewChick, Dec 6, 2007.

1. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    So my little light brown dutch banty hen decided she wanted to sit on the eggs that were laid. I went out there three times today, and she hasn't left the nest. She growls and freaks out everytime I attempted to remove the eggs. And I also don't have the time to sit there and watch her every moment of the day to see if she leaves the nest to snatch the eggs. I'm not even sure the eggs are fertile. Arg. Suggestions, anyone?

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Just reach under her and pull the eggs out.
    She doesn't have teeth, so how bad could a bite be? [​IMG]

3. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    She doesn't have teeth, so how bad could a bite be?

Pretty bad, in my experience. LOL

Do you want little biddies? If so, just leave her be. I have a friend whose hen just hatched out nine little ones, and the temps have been in the teens and below here. Nature finds a way.​

4. TheOLDNewChick

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    Yeah, they don't have teeth but they've managed to take a chunk outta me before. And that hurts, too.

I would love to have some little ones running around, just didn't know if it'd be too cold for them? I'm almost positive they aren't fertile though, and I'm not sure where I could get fertilized eggs to stick under her.

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

BSTG, on this forum is chockful of enablers...[​IMG]
    They might not have teeth but they can still bite and draw blood.
    I still have bite marks from Slifer.

6. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    "Just reach under her and pull the eggs out.
    She doesn't have teeth, so how bad could a bite be? " I thought this was funny Rooster!!

7. TheOLDNewChick

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    BSTG? Do wha? I think therefor I'm confused. :|

8. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:Why don't you think they are fertile? If she does hatch some, I would just bring them inside (a garage or basement works well) for three or four weeks, then out they go again. Momma will keep them warm. As far as fertile eggs, there are LOTS and LOTS of people on here that are selling some. Check the BUYSELLTRADEGIVEAWAYS forum for eggs.

9. TheOLDNewChick

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    Well, there's only really two hens I've ever seen the boys go after, and they're pretty clumsy, so I'm pretty sure they haven't been successful yet, if you know what I mean.

10. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:I guess either my hens don't bite as hard or maybe I just have tough skin, I've never had one bite and draw blood.

Wear a coat & gloves to protect you? Would that help? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by