It's too small, right?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by StarLover21, Nov 3, 2011.

1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Ok, so how much space to full grown chickens need in a coop just for sleeping when they have 10+ square feet in the run outside? We only have five girls. Thanks!

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Yes, way too small.

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Wait, 10+ square feet each, or all together?

4. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hey, Ya need to be alittle more specific! Like post before me, 10' per chicken I hope! Give us more information.
    Erik

5. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Now is that a 10' x10' square, or 10' squared?

6. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    what size are the birds. that is more than enough for seramas but standard cochins would be crammed in there [​IMG]

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I think many of us are confused on your numbers. Do they have 10 sq. ft. of space EACH in the run right now (meaning at least 50 sq. ft of run space)???
    And can you tell us what kind of chickens you have, and what area of the country you live in (because climates are/should be a factor in housing size).

8. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    If you have too many birds in a small space you risk illness, disease, stress and injuries to your birds, so the recommendations for most standard breeds are that you need roosting space of around 1 foot per bird, 4 square feet per bird inside the coop, and 10 square feet per bird outside. You can get away with a bit less if they freerange, or if you have smaller breeds.

The inside the coop space might seem big just for sleeping, but it's there in case you need to keep them in for any length of time, like bad storms, snowed in etc They need to be able to stay in the shelter together without picking each other to pieces.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  9. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Sorry I didn't make that clear. Over ten square feet EACH. It's sixty square feet all together.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  10. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:that big

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by