It's very quiet here

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by MarkR, Jul 2, 2007.

1. MarkR

MarkR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Ivy, Virginia
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Brave Sir Robin, our beloved rooster passed sometime in the last day. We were out of town, and a friend was watching the house. She didn't hear anything, so it probably happened when she was out during the afternoon. Not sure why she didn't notice the silence this morning, but it was the first thing I heard getting out of the truck.

I think it was a hawk. Nothing tried to dig under the fence, so it must have come in low under the netting. He put a great fight and bravely protected his flock who are healthy and sound, though perhaps a bit lonely. I've been feeding them zuccini from the garden all day to try to cheer them up.

I generally don't like roosters, but he was a good one.

Mark

2. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    Oh, so sorry you lost your boy. [​IMG]

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Mark, Im so sorry you lost your roo. Do you plan on getting another? They really are good for protecting the flock.

4. MarkR

Mar 11, 2007
    Ivy, Virginia
    Yeah, I'm going to start looking for one of those big t-rex asian dinosaur jungle roosters that will kick some hawk butt.

Actually, as long as it's a relatively mild mannered rooster (well, as much as a rooster can be mild mannered) and sings well, I'll start thinking about it next week. Maybe I'll get adventurous and get somebody colorful this time.

Mark

5. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Maybe you should hatch some eggs from your favorite hen and hope for an offspring roo from one of his fertilized eggs he left behind.

6. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Aww, Mark I am so sorry to hear about this. [​IMG]
    He was a good roo to defend his girls!! :aww

7. Sharona

Sharona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2007
    Illinois
    I'm sorry to hear about your roo. I took a moment to look at your website link and it looks like you have your self a little piece of heaven at your house. Beautiful pics!

8. MarkR

Mar 11, 2007
    Ivy, Virginia
    Thanks everyone. I am resisting the urge to go "Rambo" on all the wildlife around here.

Yep, Sharona, I have accused of being reclusive and anti-social, but it's just that I have everything I want and need right here. Why would I go anywhere? Except for work of course.

Mark

Last edited: Jul 4, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by